Chapter Thirty Six

A Family Built on Cruel Intentions

•••

"I don't understand..." Lan Fan whispers to her lap breathlessly. "This says he has found a philosopher's stone for our country but... where is he?" She looks up to Sonia, whom she trusts the most out of them all. "Please, tell me the truth."

"He's been... busy. His body was taken over by a homunculus, and now he's trapped inside. We're not yet sure how to get him out of there..." The servant's worried eyes strike right through the alchemist's heart strings. She should have never let this happen to Ling.

"I'm sorry." Sonia tries her best to be comforting, putting a hand on her over the plain blanket she was given from Dr. Knox. "I keep messing up. I get you injured, no, dismembered by the Fuhrer of a country you should have no consequences from, then I can't even take care of your master for you as redemption. I promise we will get Ling back. I just need to figure out how."

There is no trace of resentment against her friend in the warrior's eyes, just sadness and fear.

"You should rest some more," Alphonse offers sweetly. She doesn't even argue. She simply lies back down and stares at the ceiling, silent. They leave her in the room alone.

"This is all my fault." Sonia leans her back on the door, sighing heavily. The brothers look at her pitifully. "What am I going to do?"

"I don't know," Ed answers truthfully. "I think I'm going to take a walk."

"Can I come with you?"

"Um, sure."

"I can stay here with Dr. Knox," Al suggests.

"Thank you, Al."

The buzz Central's population has by now felt welcoming to Sonia. People pass by and glance at the two State Alchemists walking side by side on the sidewalk. Sonia smiles at them all, feeling their memories enter and leave her head like a train station; coming and going, going and coming.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I talked to your father in Resembool," she apologizes suddenly. Ed looks disgruntled.

"Hohenheim? 'S fine, Sonia."

"He's got... He's got souls inside him. Like the other homunculi do."

The alchemist stops. "You're telling me my father is a homunculus?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying. His souls, those ones are tame. They simply float. They don't squirm or swim around inside him. It's like they're... content, in a messed-up way. What I'm trying to get through to you is that you should, I don't know... make amends."

Ed's eyes fill with fire as he grimaces at her. "No way. He left me and Al! And my mom! She was dying, and the bastard didn't even bother to show up to the funeral."

"What about what your mother wanted to say to him? 'I'm sorry, but I'm dying first.'?"

"Oh, I'll tell him that once I see him. Right after I clock him in the face." He begins to walk again, taking strides. Sonia jogs to catch up.

"It was just a suggestion," she mutters. "I don't think he's a bad guy at all."

"Great, he's fooled you just like he fooled my mom."

She rolls her eyes.

"Sorry for bringing it up then. But I do have to tell you something. I meant to tell Alphonse too, I just forgot."

"What is it?"

She twiddles her thumbs. "I've been re-adopted... by the royal family." Saying it out loud physically hurt. It made it finally real to her. She went over and sat on a community bench. Ed sits beside her.