Epilogue

don't be afraid, we're going home.

•••

Five legs walk across the busy streets of Central City. Three are flesh, one is made of metal, and the other is a stick of wood with a hook. Edward and Sonia stroll side by side, metal and wood scraping the concrete with every other footstep they take in tandem.

"How are you feeling since you've been released?" the young man asks, getting another look at her. The bruises he saw blossom on her skin have disappeared, her cuts have turned into scars, and in the occasional moments that she opens her eyes, they seem clearer and full of life once more. He was worried he wouldn't ever be able to see that spark in her again, but two months of healing has served her well.

"I'm doing just fine," Sonia answers honestly. "I'm still trying to adjust, but being at Roy's place again is super helpful since everything is so familiar. Also, I have this to help me get around," she waves the white support cane in her left hand.

They walk into Central City's hospital. Edward goes into the elevator car and Sonia steps right behind him. She gropes around for the handle of the gate then closes it. He pulls the lever to the third floor. It creaks for a moment as the door shuts, then they move upward with the elevator.

"The memories are a plus, too," she continues. "I can still see them in my head just as easily as I did before. And, well..." She teeters off, a blush coming over her face. "I think I've finally realized something." Embarrassed, she turns away from the stare she can feel from him.

"What is it?"

Sonia puts both of her hands on her cane and stops. Her top hand rubs her healing scars on her bottom hand.

"Last night I dreamt for the first time since..." She frowns, searching for the right words.

"Since we defeated Father and won the Promised Day," he supplies, knowing that her description would have taken a dark, negative turn.

She swallows visibly. "R-right. Anyway, do you remember how I told you... when I killed my sister, I would obtain her powers? Or at least that's what the prophecy foretold.

"At first I wasn't sure. I didn't feel any different. But last night I knew it had all come true."

Ed clearly doesn't follow, his eyebrows furrowing. "What are you trying to say, Sonia?"

"In my dream, everything was dark. Wherever I was, I'd never been there before. I was fumbling around, completely lost. I felt hopeless. But then, as I kept walking around, I could see you in the distance. A ray of light. You looked like you were waiting for me. I immediately knew my powers worked because... you're my future, Ed." She realized the weight of her statement as she said it and blushed deeply. "Or, at least I want you to be!"

Edward looked simultaneously stunned and expectant. Then, he says bluntly, "Well, I didn't need some Xingese folktale to tell me that."

Sonia scoffed incredulously, then laughed until she was breathless. Her happiness made Ed's heart soar. She caught her breath then let out a sigh mixed with both contempt and longing.

"Can I see you?" she whispers to him.

"Hm?" he questions.

Slowly, Sonia lifts up her hand over what she can sense is Edward's face. He realizes she's waiting for an answer to her question. Ever since Al returned to his true body, he's been hovering his hands over things or people he wants permission to touch. He understands this is a similar situation for her, so he guides her hand to his face once he closes his eyes. With a grateful smile she studies his features with her fingers. She traces the bridge of his nose, his cheekbones, his jawline... Eventually she moves her fingertips towards his lips. She brushes her thumb over them, then cradles his cheek. Her touch is so delicate that he could barely feel it. She felt him smile, though, then leaned into his touch as he put his hand in her ever-growing hair.