Chapter Forty One

•••  

"They're over this way," Sonia gestured down the hall she'd been down so many times now. She had no other choice, not with Winry here. There was never good timing, and all her luck was running out. She clung to her friend and put herself between her and Kimblee, just in case.

"Excellent," the man hissed, his form practically slivering down the hall.

When the three arrived, there was a dead silence from the brothers as they feasted their eyes on the odd trio before them. The Crimson Alchemist smiling at them, Sonia giving them guilty and panicked eyes, and sweet, oblivious Winry, ecstatic to see them.

"Hello, boys! I've brought a welcome surprise for you."

"I'm here to fix your automail!" the blonde girl explains. "I got a call from the military saying that you were going up north and that you needed to be taken care of, so I packed up and came as fast as I could! You should really consult me about these things, Ed! And Al, have you been treating your armor well? I don't want you rusting." She went on and on, but the older brother stopped her, finally having something to say.

"You idiot! You shouldn't be here! The north is dangerous!"

"You really should be more grateful, Ed! You're, like, my worst customer; you never listen!"

"I imagine you need him out of this cell to perform anything you're planning to do?"

"Oh yes, sir."

Kimblee reveals from his jacket's breast pocket the same keys that General Raven had earlier when he freed Sonia. She briefly wondered who gave them those. He unlocked the cell, then keyed Ed's handcuffs. He rubbed his sore left wrist.

Ed followed him out of the cell, giving his brother a look that only the siblings could understand.

"Don't worry, Al," the girl alchemist smiled gently. "I'll stay with you for a bit."

"Lucky you. I have to listen to this gearhead talk automail for an hour or two." Winry scowled at Ed's nickname for her and knocked him over the head.

"C'mon. The sooner we start the sooner we finish."

The three head off and are out of sight in no time. The girl sits down and pulls her knees to her chin. The pair settles into a comfortable silence, Sonia on one side of the bars, Alphonse on the other.

"How's your cold?" Al asked, turning his head in curiosity. On cue, she sneezed thrice in a row, then laughed.

"Does that answer your question?"

They both laugh together, but it dies down quickly. Suddenly, the armored boy asks something unexpected.

"Do you think Brother will actually get my body back?"

Sonia shot upright and looked face on to Alphonse.

"Of course he will! Why? Do you have doubts?"

Al sighed. "No, no. I just... I'm afraid that alchestry is our last lead. If we don't find anything out from Mei -that is, if we find her- then... I don't know if there will be a next time. You heard what Barry the Chopper said... A soul can't live in anything other than its body for too long."

"Well, I believe in your brother." It was a simple statement but Alphonse wished he felt the same confidence. "Do we need a repeat of that morning at the hospital in Central?"

"No," the suit of armor mumbled, ashamed.

"Well good. Let me know when it gets to that point."

"It won't."