Chapter Twenty

The Alchemist's Lies

sømebødy catch my breath.
|-/

•••

"Hello this is Garfiel's and I'm Winry, how can I help you?" Winry spoke smoothly through the phone resting on her shoulder. In her hands was an unfinished automail leg piece.

"Hello Mrs. Rockbell, this is Colonel Roy Mustang."

She faltered, surprised. "C-Colonel?!"

"Yes. Is Sonia with you?"

"Yeah, do you want me to get her?"

"Please do."

"Hold on."

She put the steel down and held the phone away from her. "Sonia!" she called. "Phonecall!" She immediately heard eager steps come downstairs.

"Who is it?" Sonia asked as she took the phone from her.

"The Colonel."

"Roy?"

"Mmhm," she replied.

Sonia smiled and put the receiver to her ear. "Hello?"

"Sonia, how is everything?"

"Good, good. Everything's really good. The Elric brothers are in Dublith, and I've been with Winry in Rush Valley. And on your end?"

"My team and I are fine," he forced out. "Just fine." He couldn't bear to tell her about Hughes. She wouldn't believe it, and if he was honest with himself, he still couldn't fully believe it either.

'He was my best friend, and to her, he was...'

"Are you sure?" she questioned, concerned.

"Yes," he lied.

"Okay... Any reason you called?"

"We're moving to Central," he announced.

She gasped. "Really?! All of us?" She was referring to the team, of course.

"Yes. All of us."

"Awesome!"

"You're... you are willing to follow me, correct?"

She smiled at his worrying undertone. "Always will."

"Good to know. See you soon."

"You too."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Sonia shook away the homesickness ebbing away at her as she put the phone back in its holder and went back upstairs.

•••

Mr. Garfiel was a generous man and had given the two girls permission to stay at his residence. Winry was his apprentice and worked there, so it was a fair enough exchange.

Sonia didn't even spend much time there during the day anyway. She would roam the streets mostly, trying to get a feel for the city and its people, also doing miscellaneous chores for Mr. Garfiel that Winry didn't have time to complete. She looked like a regular citizen, and very rarely did she get recognized as her State Alchemist title. Sometimes she would wear her watch around town to be asked if she had stolen it.

"No, this watch is mine. I'm the See-All Alchemist." Honestly, she expected praise, but all she received were confused looks and annoying questions.

"The See-All Alchemist isn't a boy..?"

"How did someone like you become a State Alchemist?"

"For a girl, you're a pretty good alchemist!"