Chapter Seventeen

Mɐlfunɔtion

think things are after me, my catastrophe.
-tøp.

•••

"Okay, I think I've had enough of this." Ed said, his voice muffled. He pushed away, and the group hug fell apart.

Sonia laughed. "What? Claustrophobic, Ed?"

"No! I'm just not used to this stuff," Ed muttered, looking away and crossing his arms over his chest.

Winry was about to add in with her own jibe when the door opened. Standing there were two military men, Major Armstrong and Lieutenant Colonel Hughes.

"Ah, wonderful! All of you are here!" the Major spoke with a booming voice as always.

"We're here to ask you about the Fifth Lab incident." Hughes added, waving a manila folder.

"Do we have to do this now?" Edward complained, flopping back on the bed.

"Now is a good time as any, brother," Al pointed out, making his sibling groan.

"Fine," he resented, sitting up. "But first, Winry, can you get us some tickets for the train?"

"Uh, sure." The girl replied.

"Make sure you get them for Dublith," he instructed, handing her some cenz.

"Right," she nodded. "I'll be back."

Once she left, the discussion began.

"So, what do you need to know?" Sonia questioned.

"Just about everything."

"Well, she started, "turns out, my sister is a homunculus."

"What?!"

They told them everything, from the 'haunted' armor suits, to the transmutations on the floor, and having to draw pictures of the three homunculi Sonia and Edward had encountered.

"They said that they 'allowed us to live,' but I'm not sure what that really means." Ed thought aloud. "Hey Sonia, can't you do your magic mind reading thingy to the homunculi?" He struggled to find the right words.

"First, it's not magic mind reading," she pointed out. "And second, no, I couldn't." She frowned. "When I tried to read them and their past, I couldn't... All I felt was this lingering sense, the same way I feel when I'm in a mass population. Like all those people's memories were swimming through my head at once. But there were only 3 homunculi; that's not enough to make me feel swamped with memories."

Sonia didn't understand. Her powers had never failed her before. Was she doing something wrong?

She didn't know how to feel about the situation. All her life she had been able to do this, and sure, it came with lots of inconveniences, but she treasured this gift. To suddenly lose it, it made her feel on edge, and vulnerable. She shivered, feeling goosebumps. Her skin suddenly felt terribly uncomfortable.

'What if I'm never able to do it again?'

Her thoughts were interrupted as the door opened again.

"Who is it this time?" Al asked, turning around.

"Fuhrer Bradley?!" All turned to attention and saluted rather sloppily.

"At ease, men. And young lady," he added, giving a nod to Sonia. She didn't notice, as her mind was occupied once more. She squinted at the man, trying to concentrate. Once again, just like in the lab, all she felt were lingering memories of a mass of people.

'I can't do it to him, either!' she thought to herself, frustrated. He began to talk, but her thoughts raced, trying to find answers to her problem.

'Maybe I'm just tired. A lot has happened, plus, I did hit my head pretty hard.' She tried to reason with herself. 'Yeah, that's it. No big deal.'

Once she sorted through her thoughts she realized she hadn't been listening to the Fuhrer all this time.

'Well, it probably wasn't important.'

"Well," the Fuhrer declared, "it's time to take my leave. It was nice meeting you all." He winked at Sonia as he opened the window. Without another word, he climbed out and walked away.

'What an odd man,' she thought.

Since Bradley had left the door open, Winry strolled right in, tickets in hand.

"Hey, I got the tickets... What's with the faces?"

"Oh, it was nothing..." they all replied.

"Um, okay..? Here." She handed them to Ed, and Armstrong leaned over to see them.

"Dublith, huh? Why do you wish to visit the south?" the strong man inquired.

"Did you say the south?" Winry chimed in again, her eyes practically sparkling. "Where in the south?"

The Major pulled out a map of Amestris. "I believe Dublith is right here," he pointed.

Winry took the map from him and scrutinized it. "There it is!" she squealed. "Right above Dublith! The land of everything automail!" She whipped her head to Ed and Al. "You absolutely have to take me!"

"No way!" Ed yelled, not letting her squeeze in another word.

"Why not?! Please please please please please please-!"

"..."

"Fine, fine, quit complaining already!"

"Yay!" She spun excitedly in circles. Sonia had to stop her before she got too dizzy.

"Sonia!" She gripped her friend's shoulder. "You have to come with us!"

"Huh?"

"Nuh-uh, I'm not bringing both of you!" Edward exclaimed.

"Come on brother," Al joined in. "What's the harm? Sonia and Winry can stay in Rush Valley while we go to Dublith. They'll be fine."

The short alchemist crossed his arms. "Whatever, I don't care."

"Not that I'm not excited, but why do you even want me to come?" The girl alchemist asked.

"Sonia, you're my friend, why wouldn't I want you to come?" Winry smiled.

"Well, okay. I guess I could use a little break."

"Yes! Automail, here we come!"

"Winry, you're an amazing friend, but I just know you're going to drive me crazy with all this automail stuff," Sonia admitted.

"It's not 'stuff'! It's art!"

"Okay Win, I get it!"

They all laughed.