Chapter 8

The warm sun on my face bothered me. The bright light forced my eyes shut but I needed to open them. I quickly threw the blankets off of me, twisting my stiff body to the side. My warm feet touched the cold carpet. I jumped up onto my feet, I quickly ripped my clothes off and put new clothing on. I wore my favorite dark blue skinny jeans with one of my shirts that looked like a sweatshirt. I walked out of my room and down the stairs, throwing on a pair of black and white 'Vans'. I put my long brown hair into a pony tail and grabbed my backpack. I stood holding the door open.

"Happy birthday me," I said then closed the door behind me.

I trudged to the bus stop wondering why I got out of bed this morning, I was skipping school anyway. When I got there I was greeted by my two best friends. Michele but we call her Mikey for short and Robin. They both came up to me with their hands behind their backs and grins on their faces. I smiled back.

"What's behind your backs?" I asked, knowing that's what they wanted me to do. They showed me. Robin handed me a cup of coffee from my favorite place, and Mikey handed me a piece of paper. I held the hot coffee in my left hand a read the paper in my right. It was a list of movies and times.

"But, this movie right here" I pointed to a movie title.

"It's during third period and there's a test," I said, they both frowned. I started laughing revealing that it was just a joke, we laughed. The bus arrived and we got on and headed to school.

When we got to school we hid under the bleachers until the bell rang and we could leave. As we walked to the movie theater I sipped my now cold coffee, but it tasted better that way. Half way to the theater Robin and Mikey started clapping and began singing a birthday song. People passing by stared at the three high schoolers ditching school. I laughed.

"We're gonna get in trouble," I said.

"You're only seventeen once Rose. So we're gonna watch movies and eat candy until school ends or we get sick" Mikey said before she took one of the last drinks of my coffee and handed the rest to Robin. We walked up to the unopened theater, Robin knocked on it three times until a face appeared at the window. The door opened and we walked inside. Robin's older brother worked at the theater, and so happens he was gonna quit the next day, after we got to watch a few movies for free. We loaded up on candy, pop, and popcorn and started with the first movie.

~~6 hours, 3 pops, and 2 buckets of popcorn later~~

We stumbled out of the theater in a bundle of laughter.

"I can't believe she died at the end!" Robin exclaimed.

"Yeah, no one could have seen that coming". Mikey agreed. We hurried back to school to get on the bus. When we got back and got on the bus it was as if no one noticed we were gone, which was great in our case. When I got home, I realized tonight was the night my mom was working late. I put my ear buds in went into the basement. I walked to where I found the journal and dug further into the box. I wanted to know more about the person I was named after. I reached the bottom of the box and pulled out another book labeled 'Records'. I opened the book and something fell out. I put the book back and picked up the paper. I turned it over to see a picture of Rosalena...