Chapter 46

I chased Derek all the way to the football field and found him sitting alone, at the very top if the bleachers, looking toward the track. The gym class was running laps in the distance. I stayed at the very bottom.  

"Where did you hear that?" I called up to him. He looked toward me. I climbed up a few of the bleachers.

"I heard it in a dream... Last night. A woman spoke it to me and told me to tell you," he said a little quieter .

"What woman?" I asked climbing more bleachers, now I stood two below the very top.

"She just said that she started this, and she said that this could ease your pain," he said recalling the woman's words. I frowned.

"That makes no sense to me, but what did she say again?" I asked

"One shall fall for another, claimed to be a destined lover, take all that he is given, then leave the woman to be bitten. Return with open arms. Both now far from harm. Things do indeed get better with one soon pleasure," he recited. I took a moment to think about it.

"What does it mean?" I asked. He shrugged.

"Hope, I guess," he said. I nodded. Then Derek walked to the edge of the bleachers. He looked back at me, I was trapped in a thought. Then he stepped down a couple bleachers till we were face to face. He placed his hand on my shoulder pulling me away from my thoughts.

"I forgave you, now it's time to forgive yourself," he said before walking back up to the edge and jumping! I ran to the edge and saw Derek land gracefully. He turned back to me once again took off towards the woods. I turned around a headed back to school, that poem still ringing in my head, the full version only hurting worse. I looked to the track runners and saw the teacher eyeing me. We stared at each other for awhile and we went separate ways.

~~after school~~

Compulsion was one hell of a thing, school was much easier with it as well. Forced good grades, perfect attendance, and a bit more fun. I guess I could just compel myself a degree and practically anything I wanted but where's the fun in that. It was sure tempting though.

Elijah and I had to do some shopping... But, without money because we're broke. Time to crack open that Piggy Bank.

"Paint, cute wall decals, lamp... We are literally what every married couple becomes!" I said listing things in our cart. We both stood in the home improvement isle.

"You picked them out?" Elijah said looking at me funny.

"Well yeah. But, I think we're being basic. But basic is good sometimes, right?" I questioned while looking at paint colors.

"We don't have to be basic, we could be outrageous and unpredictable. Or we can be as you said, basic newly weds," he said smiling.

"Mmmmm," I said considering things. Then Elijah pulled me away from the paint and the cart.

"We are putting everything back and starting over. Now think. What is one thing we don't have?" he asked.

"Bed sheets," I said quickly. He laughed a little but agreed.

"Then let's get some bed sheets," he said smiling as we ditched our cart in the aisle. I stood staring at the large plastic boxes with sheets while Elijah lovingly stared at me.

"The red and black one works perfectly. For our situation, anyway," I said looking up at him bumping him with my elbow and giving a cheesy smile.
"Haha. Get it. Cause we're vampires," I said and Elijah just smiled at me and I could almost tell what he was thinking. "I love you too. You don't have to say it, I know. Now the black and red sheets.. yes? No?" I asked.

"Let's get them," he said smiling. I grabbed the set off the shelf and put it into our new cart. Then we went to check out. We were nearing the paint section and my head turned down the isle.

"No..." Elijah said turning my head slightly to the exit. "We need a whole day to go paint shopping. Let's go home and rest," Elijah suggested. The thought was pure heaven.

We walked out of the store with only the bed sheets. When we got home I threw them into the washer and made them smell like lavender. Elijah ran out to get some food for the house, which was becoming more and more difficult. Not very many blood donors in mystic falls but there were a lot of vampires hungry for them. In this moment I felt like a stay at home wife, it was weird yet pretty awesome at the same time. By the time Elijah got home I had finished putting the sheets on the bed. Elijah stocked the fridge with bags of blood.

"Hey. Come here," I yelled for Elijah. He came into the room and saw the new sheets.

"Oh," he said. I frowned.

"Oh, what?" I asked.

"We're gonna mess up a perfectly made bed," he said. Then he threw me onto the blankets,"  I giggled.

"I'll remake it... maybe," I said smiling. "But I have a feeling were just gonna mess it up again," I said with a devilish grin.