Chapter 19:

Chapter Nineteen

The back of a black leather jacket, worn by a man sitting on a park bench, was facing me. I breathed air before I started to take small steps towards him. I don’t have the slightest idea how will I talk to Kale. Am I really going to break up with him? Why the hell did I nodded my head when Adrian told me to break up with him?

My heart almost ripped out of my ribcage as my feet started its way to the guy that I was in a relationship with. When I was close to him—so close that I was even thinking he could feel my presence behind him.

“Hey,” I whispered, bending my knees a bit to whisper on his ears.

He immediately turned around; there was a sweet smile on his lips. To him, it feels like nothing serious happened among us: Me, him, Selene and Adrian. It was like nothing; like I didn’t have sex with my cousin. Pretty normal, I know. Note the huge sarcasm.

“Hello there, sweet little heart.” With that, I smiled genuinely, forgetting the doubts that I had in my chest. He really knew how to comfort people and make them smile. Even though he looks rough and tough, he was really a soft person.

“How are you?” I asked him with a very soft voice.

He tapped the seat next to him. “Just sit beside me first, okay? Come here,”

I obeyed his instructions as I walked around the bench and sit next to him. His fragrance was hard as ever; men’s perfume mixed with the smell of cigarette.

When I sat on the place next to him, he examined me. His eyes were unreadable and I don’t know if I should get worried or what.

“I’m sorry,” he started. His expression was slowly turning soft.

 I shook my head in response. “No, I should be the one saying sorry. I’m at fault.”

“No, I guess were both at fault. If it wasn’t me saying that you’re acting like a bitch, you wouldn’t get mad at me and kiss Adrian like that, right? You don’t have any feelings for him, since you’re already my girlfriend, right?” He asked like he was some 5-year-old boy. Guilt struck me, but I tried my best to hide it. I hope it worked.

“Of course I am over him. That kiss you saw was Adrian’s fault.” I lied, which added the guilt on my blood.

He smiled weakly, and I instantly knew there was a problem. But I comprehended that he won’t even tell me what’s wrong. “Yeah,” he said. “But what happened with you? You look really tired.”

I tried to think of an appropriate excuse. “It’s just that, Aunt Marissa was still in the hospital. She hurt her feet. We were so stressed out.”

“Oh, if you were to visit her, please say get well soon. She’s really nice.” He said and I gape at him.

“You knew Marissa?” I asked looking shocked.

“Yes, sweet cheeks. Have you forgotten that I was friends with your cousin?” he explained and my mouth formed an ‘O’ shape. How could I forget that little information?

“Oh, I’m sorry about that.” I muttered quickly.

We just sat there in silence for a couple of minutes. We just stared at each other.

It was then that Kale broke the silence between us. “Claire?” he suddenly spoke.

“Yeah?” I answered.

“Please don’t ever break up with me,” he said, making my jaw drop in shock. “You are only mine. I won’t let any guy get you from me.”

My heart was thumping again. Why would he suddenly say those words? Was it that obvious that I was going to break up with him? Does he know something? I can’t think clearly.

Instead of overthinking things, I just nodded, which made him hug me in response.

Brilliant, Claire. Giving promises to two guys with opposite statements? Really cool, chicken nuggets.

“Adrian?” I called him, wanting to ask about his mom. I’ve finally gotten home, since Kale and I hanged out for a while. Even though I felt really remorseful, I still managed to have fun since he was really a comical guy. I even gave him a new nickname, Zen, because he was really bubbly and stupid sometimes. I smiled at the thought.

“Yeah?” He answered with a boring tone. He was lazily sprawled on the sofa, while I was standing not so near him since I just entered the house. He was watching a series, which I presume is ‘How I Met Your Mother’. God, we really have the same tastes, I thought to myself.

“How’s Marissa?” I finally asked.

“She’s still in the hospital to rest,” he answered, not still focusing on the TV. “About your mom, she was home an hour before you. You know, get stuff.”

I nodded my head. “Okay,”

He unexpectedly turned his head to face me; his eyes meeting mine. “So, how did it go?”

I swallowed an imaginary lump on my throat.

“What?” I said pretending not having any idea what he is talking about.

“You absolutely know what I’m talking about,” he glared at me. “Just answer me.”

I breathed a heavy sigh. My ears were pounding like my heart. “I didn’t do it,” I said, almost whispering. “I can’t, I’m sorry.”

I thought he was going to hurt me, or frown or something. But he just grinned evilly, a sign that something not good is about to happen.

“Why?” he asked, still grinning. To be honest, his lopsided smile is scaring the shit out of me.

“I just can’t. He’s too kind.” I answered nonchalantly, but sincerely. I just can’t break up with him.

His grin worsened. It sent shivers down to my spine. “No biggie,” he said as he slowly stood up from his seat and walked towards me. I didn’t even dare to step back, even though the door was tightly shut behind me. It’s no use, right? “If you can’t break up with him, then I will make him do it.”

My face paled. What does he mean by that?

“What do you mean?”

He was finally in front of me, as he traced his fingers on the side of my cheek, leaving hot trails there. “What I mean is,” he whispered seductively. I just wanted to brush off his grin, seriously. “Strip off.”

My jaw dropped in response. “What?!” I almost shout at him.

“Oh, I just wanted to have a strip party. Just for a little celebration,” he said coolly.

“Celebration?” my forehead ceased in confusion. Is it his birthday or what? Nah, definitely not.

He continued to caress my skin using his thumb. He even brushed a few strands of my hair. “I got a job. They finally sent me an e-mail a few hours ago. You know I was really waiting for that since I got here.”

“Congratulations, then.” I answered stupidly. I don’t even know what to say. He’s really an expert to diverting the topic. One second he was ordering me to strip, but now we were talking about him getting a job.

“Do you know where?” he playfully asked, as if he knows something that I don’t.

I remained quiet; his grin broadened.

Andrews Corporations, baby.”