Chapter 3:

Chapter Three

 “I’ll leave you guys here.” Mom decided, probably becoming aware of the awkward situation among us. Adrian and I just nodded our heads, but Kale remained silent.

The situation got more unpleasant as mom slowly departs off the living room. There I was, slipping my attention to these beautiful creatures, when Adrian broke the silence. “You know Claire?” He asked Kale. I mentally slapped Adrian’s face—yeah, his face. Why does he have to say my name?

The perfect curve of Kale’s mouth broadens as he heard Adrian’s sentence, apparently because he finally got my name which he was asking last night. “Well, it’s a pleasure to see you, Claire.” He muttered, ignoring Adrian.

I rolled my eyes at him. “It’s actually Clarissa, not Claire. You don’t know me, I don’t know you, you can’t call me Claire, call me Clarissa, and we’re not having this conversation.”

“You need to calm your fine ass, Claire.” Kale teased, emphasizing my name.

“I told you not to call me Claire.” I say as I gawk at him.

He shrugged his shoulders. Maybe he’s thinking weird stuff about me, and I don’t know if I should care or give a damn to what he’s thinking about me. “What’s the big deal about it?”

“Just a not-so-friendly reminder—since we’re not friends, that my best lad calls me Clarissa. The point is you should be someone super special to call me Claire. Am I making this clear?” I explained.

Before Kale could answer sarcastically, Adrian interrupted our pointless conversation about my name. “Wow, I am special to you?” he asked with a hint of irony in his voice.

“Fuck you Adrian. How could you forget? You are the dumbest person I’ve ever met.” I scowl at him.

“I’d like that wild side of yours, Claire. Of course I would be more than willing to fuck you,” I glared at him. “Wait, I’m just kidding. Anyways, why am I dumb?” Adrian asked stupidly.

“Ian,” I tucked a few strands of my hair behind my ear while trying to impersonate the voice of an innocent girl. A few seconds later, the sweet smile on my lips was replaced by a thin line; the innocent voice now a hard one. “How could you fucking not know, you were the first person to call me Claire. Oh wait, let me rephrase that. You are the only person who has ever called me Claire—oh wait, my mom. But still! It’s because of you.”

Adrian playfully nodded his head. I don’t even know if he’s calling up our childhood or he’s just irritating me on purpose. “I guess I’m really special.”

I hit my forehead with my right hand. The fuck is with this guy, how can he be so dumb? “Of course, you are special. Have you forgotten that you’re my c—“I was cut off when Kale cleared his throat.

“Excuse me.”  He disrupted.

“You are excused.” I answered sarcastically as I walk towards him and pushed him out of the front door. “Look, I don’t know the real reason why you’re here but you need to leave. Come back some other time, my house is open for vagabonds. Goodbye!” I exclaimed as I slammed the front door shut.

“Hun, don’t close the door. I’m going to leave now.” Mom’s voice echoed from the kitchen. I silently prayed to God and hoped that Kale would be gone when I open this door again. Relief washed over me as I found nothing but the refreshingly sight of green plants from the front yard and the cotton floating in cool blue above it. What a perfect day, I thought.

When I turn my head to look inside the house, mom was already behind me and kissed me goodbye before heading off to her work.

“Close the door.” Adrian ordered. I carefully shut the door and turned, only to find his face just a few inches away from mine. He pinned his left arm on the door, leaving me trapped in his muscular arms. His right hand travelled towards the knob, locking it.