Chapter 18:

Chapter Eighteen

My thoughts were swirling. There were a lot of questions running in my head. I thought they would be back after a couple of hours? Plus the fact that it was actually dim downstairs, so why was she able to see the mess?

But I need to stop thinking and do what we need to do. In my peripheral vision, I saw Adrian removed the used condom as he stood up from bed. I stood up as well, and I looked at him in panic.

“Get in the bathroom,” I instructed him, and I think that was the best thing that he should do. “Turn on the shower. Oh, and grab those clothes with you.”

“What about you?” he asked me.

“Don’t worry about me.  I’ll just cover myself with a duvet,” I said as I heard the clinking footsteps of my mom. “Get in the shower room, quick.” I panicked.

He speedily grabbed the clothes that were scattered on the floor, while I hastily threw the covers on my body. Just as Adrian closed the bathroom door, my bedroom door flew open, revealing my mom holding a flashlight.

“Claire,” mom said as she pointed the flashlight straight to my face. The blinding streak of light hit my eye and I swear that yellow is all over my closed eyelids.

“Ow,” I murmured and she immediately turned off the light. When I opened my eyes, there were yellow spots everywhere and I was a bit dizzy. I think I’ve gotten a vertigo; damn that stupid flashlight.

“What happened in the kitchen?” she asked me while I was still blinking my eyes, trying to adjust.

Once my eyes were adjusted to the dark, I answered her hesitantly. “We, um, Adrian—“

Mom didn’t let me finish my statement as she asked me, “Where is Adrian?”

“He’s taking a shower. He said he was feeling a bit sticky, so yeah.” I answered casually, congratulating myself for creating a very lame excuse.

“Oh,” she said. A few seconds just passed as I noticed her staring at me under the moonlight. My heart started to race, worried that mom could notice something. “Why are you covered then?”

I gulped. I shut out for a couple of seconds, thinking of another lame excuse. The shallow breaths and the running water from the bathroom, plus the loud beating of my heart were the only things I can hear.

”Um, I’m cold.” I said senselessly and cursing myself quietly, realizing that mom is a nurse so she would unquestionably check if I was alright.

“Honey, let me check on you. Let me pull the covers out.” She said as she walked towards me. I clutched on the comforter with much force, making sure that it still covered my neck down to my toes. When she was deadly close to me, she sat on the edge.

“No,” I said hardly.

“Honey, you might me sick. Pull down that covers and let me check your body temperature.” She instructed but I shook my head in response.

“Can’t you just check my temperature by touching my forehead?” I suggested.

“It’s better to check on your neck, so that I could check your pulse, too.” She insisted. I silently prayed for distraction, because I already knew that she had won the argument, and I cannot tell anymore excuses.

I was losing all my hope; my mind is prepared to be caught. I just shut my eyes, waiting for mom to unpeel the cover from my body, when the running water from the shower stopped and I heard a door creaking open.

I opened my eyes, to see Adrian walking towards us. He’s already wearing a boxer shorts, while a towel hang from his shoulders, covering the hickeys that I gave him. I gulped, not in nervousness, but because of how hot he looks with his dripping hair.

“Hey, Aunt Jill.” He greeted normally. “I thought you’d be back after a couple of hours?”

“Oh, that!” mom snapped. “I totally forgot that I have to go back to the hospital. It’s pretty crowded there at this time so your mom isn’t checked up yet. I just went home to grab clothes and stuff. I think Marissa’s foot has gotten really bad that we might stay there until tomorrow.”

“Yeah, she said that she tripped on something two days ago. I didn’t expect it to be so bad since she said that she was already fine. Can I come with you?” he asked.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll just have to call you tomorrow for a visit, incase your mom would be confined. Besides, I think Claire is sick right now. Can you please take care of her while I’m not around?” she requested Adrian, and I just want to curse that time. Like duh, I can’t face him. In addition, I was not really sick.

“Sure thing,” Adrian replied nonchalantly.

“Thank you,” mom was about to leave, but she faced us one more time. “And please clean up the mess downstairs. I believe it was the power shutdown, right? I hope none of you got hurt.” She said her last words as she went out the room, shutting the door behind her.

I heard muffled sounds from the next door for a couple of minutes. We both breathed a heavy sigh as we heard the roaring engine downstairs. Hell, I was sure it was mom leaving.

I finally got out from the suffocating fabric of the quilt. I pulled it down until chest level, still covering my body.

“So,” Adrian started. “Still a virgin, huh? Don’t worry; what you did is better than an experienced woman.” He then winked at me. I blushed really hard. At least I pleasured him, I thought to myself.

“Shut up,” I glared at him, even though my cheeks were a tinge of pink.

“I can still see that blush of yours, woman. So stop pretending that you’re angry.” I was totally shocked on what he said. Not because he was right, but because of what he called me.

“What did you just call me?”

“Um, woman? Yeah, that’s right. You’re one now, since you tasted my hotness.” He wiggled my eyebrows at me so I had to roll my eyes at him.

“Ew,” I teased.

“Did you mean ‘yum’?” he joked back. I tried not to laugh but failed miserably as I burst in amusement.

It took three seconds (yes, I counted) for Adrian to laugh with me. And I was pretty sure that he was laughing because of my laugh, not because of his own joke. My laugh was so hilarious that it would make you cry in glee, I swear.

We were in the middle of laughing when a beeping sound from the bedside table interrupted us. I turned to look at the thing; it was my phone. I have absolutely forgotten my phone. I haven’t checked it for the whole day and I’m pretty sure that it was loaded with messages saying ‘congratulations’ and stuff. I stretched out my arms to grab the phone.

When I got it, I punched the security code and read the message.

Can we talk tomorrow? Look, I was really sorry for the acts that I’ve pulled. I also sucked at apologizing, so please meet me tomorrow? I’ll wait at the park where we had our first date. Remember, Claire. I’ll wait. No matter what. –Z

Guilt rushed through me, but his message made me smile a bit. Right now, I just wanted to cry. He was just too sweet, and I just cheated on him. He was just too adorable, and I still like Adrian more than I like him. Fuck the world.

“Who’s that?” Adrian broke the silence. I tore my eyes away from my phone to look at him.

“It’s Kale,” I answered.

He glared at me before responding. “How sweet of that boyfriend of yours,” he said sarcastically.

“Yeah,” Unconsciously, I smiled again.

“Claire.” He said in a hard tone, emphasizing my name.

“What?”

“Break up with him,” he commanded. I don’t know what the fuck is wrong with me when I slowly nodded my head.

This is the indication of the utmost downfall.