Chapter 9:

Chapter Nine

“We better clean up this mess.” Adrian blurted, obviously avoiding my previousquestion. Hestarted to pick up the chairs that lay on the floor. After arranging the chairs, he opened the kitchen cabinet one by one, searching for something.

“What are you looking for? You know, you should leave that to me. Your hand is not well.”

He continued to search for something, still avoiding eye contact with me. “I’m searching for a trash bag. And to tell you, I am perfectly fine.”

“Perfectly fine, my butt. There are spots of blood on your bandage. Come on and tell your momma that you hurt your ass and you need serious medication.” I said sarcastically. Adrian is definitely not okay, but he’s pretending to. I didn’t mean to mock him nor involve Aunt Marissa in this conversation, but his selfless attitude is getting on my nerves. What if he caught infection or something really serious?

“Nice way of talking, little Claire. You sound like a white.” He said. I rolled my eyes at him.

“Whatever. Don’t you ever blame me if you got infection.”

He was about to say something when a familiar voice interrupted him.

“Why you guys didn’t closed the doo—oh what a mess.” She stopped talking immediately as she saw the pieces of broken glass scattered on the wooden floor. “What happened?” She asked.

I gulped. What am I going to say? No, definitely not.

“Adrian accidentally slipped a glass with his hand and hurt himself. It’s not serious, though.” I lied.

Mom doesn’t look like she believed my story, but she nodded her head as well. “Okay, just be careful next time.” She looked at Adrian. “And you better go with me tomorrow for a check up. No buts.” Mom’s gonna assist him, since she’s a nurse.  I think I haven’t mentioned that yet, but yeah, she’s a nurse.

Adrian nodded and continued to search for trash bags inside the cabinets. “It’s on the third one.” I informed him. He instantly opened the third cabinet and gets the trash bag he’d been searching for.

“Alright, I’m going upstairs for a nap. Make sure to clean the kitchen before I wake up.”

We nodded our heads as she rushed out of the kitchen. I can hear her heavy footsteps on the stairs.

Adrian picked shattered glass on the floor and put it inside the bag. I walked towards the refrigerator to get the dust pan and the broom, since those were placed beside it. I went to my place earlier and swept the remaining pieces of glass, which he wasn’t able to pick since those were too small.

“We’re done.” I smiled sweetly at him, as he did the same. He tied up the bag, stood up, and went out using the back door to throw the material. “All clean.” He said when he got back in front of me.

I placed the broom and dust pan to their previous places and faced Adrian.

When I looked at him, a feeling of guilt rushed towards me. At this precise moment, I’ve realized that I’ve treated Kale too harsh. Of course Adrian was hurt, and I felt sorry for him, but we all made a mistake. I shouldn’t have ordered him to leave. After all, he was right. I am screwing my cousin, which is absolutely proscriptive.

“Can you give me Kale’s phone number?” I asked straightforwardly.

He observed me with a baffled look. “Yeah. Why did you ask?”

“Well, I was too rough when I asked him to leave. I just want to do an apology.” I answered honestly.

“Well, okay.” Adrian answered hesitantly but gave me his number anyway. I quickly saved his number and texted him ‘Can you see me at school cafeteria tomorrow lunch? I want to tell you something. –C’. I waited for his reply for a couple of minutes. I smiled sweetly as I received an ‘okay’ text from him.