Chapter 16:

Chapter Sixteen

Yesterday was one of the most fucked up days of my life. First, I shouted with my boyfriend and he walked out. Second, he just saw me kissing my cousin, and walked out for the second time. After Adrian said those big loads of bullshits to me, I was the one who rushed out of the school hallway, and of course there were tons of eyes eyeing while I almost ran.

Up until now, I kept dialing Kale’s phone number, but it only went straight to voice mail. About Adrian, he acted like no shit happened between us because when he got home yesterday, he just went straight to my room to sleep his shit. I really fucked this up, and I don’t know what I should do because I will definitely look like a zombie later at graduation.

I was sitting in front of a mirror with a sick face while my mom was humming while doing my hair. Apparently, she’s the one who’s excited for my graduation. Well, I was really excited for my graduation for the past few days but that certainly faded away because of those two boys that I’m torn between.

“Do you think I should put a red lipstick? But I think a glittered lip gloss suits you well,” mom asked me and I sighed. I don’t understand why she would even bother to ask me if she’ll answer her own question right away.

“You can do what you want, mom.” I smiled lightly at mom’s reflection on the mirror.

After an hour, I looked at myself in the mirror. My eyelashes were emphasized because of the mascara. My cheeks were slightly tinged, as if I was blushing. The big curls of my hair suits my glittered, glossy lips as I wore a light pink floral dress.

“You are so gorgeous, honey.”

“Thanks,” I smiled at her.

“We should go downstairs. They’re waiting,” she said and I ceased my eyebrows in confusion. ‘They’ is definitely not Kale and his family, since he hasn’t formally introduced me to his parents, plus the fact that something isn’t nice happened yesterday, and I wasn’t planning on mentioning it today. Not on my day.

I snapped out of my thoughts and finally asked my mother who the people were waiting downstairs. “Who are they?”

“Oh, didn’t I tell you? I invited Marissa to watch your graduation. She’s with Adrian down the stairs,” she said and I smiled at her. Aunt Marissa was mom’s half-sister, plus she and I were really close. I even considered her as my second mom because she was the one who took care of me while my mom was working when I was a child. Mom also let me stay over Aunt Marissa’s house for a reason; for me to hang out with Adrian.

Besides Aunt Marissa, I was really close with Uncle Desmond. He was like a father to me, since I don’t have my own. Unfortunately, I have to witness and remember his death, and it took me time to finally move on from the horrible accident. I was only six but I could still clearly picture the scene when he was lying on the hospital bed, smiling like he was thankful that he was dying and he looked like he was really happy and contented with his life. He was flashing his brightest smile whilst we are all mourning.

I could still remember Aunt Marissa and mom’s expression. They were so broke. But what I couldn’t really erase from my mind was Adrian’s face. That time, I was happy and sad at the same time. Sad because I couldn’t bear looking at him like that and I was glad because I feel like I’ve had a companion, someone that would finally understand the feeling of not having a father.

“Claire?” mom’s voice shattered my thoughts about my beloved uncle. “You spaced out for a while,”

“Yeah, I’m sorry. Let’s go down?” I said and she nodded her head in agreement.