Chapter 31

Elizabeth

“I . . .”

“Hey Chance!” Jesse suddenly called, his footsteps approaching. “It’s your turn.”

Chance let out a quiet growl that turned into a sigh. “Gee, thanks brother,” he said with a fake sweet voice, his words coated in sarcasm. “Your timing is perfect, by the way.” Chance stood as Jesse stopped in front of us and from the sound of it, patted him very hard on the back. “Thanks a lot.”

Jesse grimaced slightly. “No problem.” As Chance started to walk away, Jesse added, “Oh, and I think I heard something outside. You should check it out.”

“Yeah,” Chance yelled back, his voice louder as he started walking backwards. “I’ll just get right on that.”

Chance turned again and mumbled under his breath as he left the cave. I sighed, relieved not to have to answer. It wasn’t that I didn’t like Chance, I did, I just really didn’t know who to choose and my mind was already filled to the brim with worry about the vampires trying to kill me. Sorry, but that kind of takes precedence.

Jesse slowly sat down beside me and I quickly put a smile on my face so he wouldn’t say anything.

“I, uh,” Jesse started slowly, his words careful, “Not that I was purposely eavesdropping, but I caught the end of that conversation.”

My eyes widened slightly. “You did?”

“Yeah, and it’s alright if you pick Chance.”

I turned my head more toward him, a shocked expression on my face. “It is?”

“Yeah,” his voice was somewhat sad, but sincere. “For as long as I can remember, everywhere we go, Chance has always been a player.”

“Jesse,” I said with a sigh. So he was saying I could pick Chance and then was going to bad mouth him? That wasn’t right.

“No, let me finish,” he said, amusement in his voice. “Like I was saying, Chance has always been a player, but you he actually cares about. I’ve never really seen that before, I’ve never seen him like this before. And for once, he’s not focusing on how much he hates being a vampire.”

I smile a little at the thought. So I was the one special girl that Chance would be willing to settle down with? And Jesse thought I was good for him?

“So you’re just giving up? Just like that?” I asked, a small frown forming on my face.

He thought about that for a second, a smile coming into his voice. “Think of it more as taking a break. I think he’s probably right about me . . . lately it’s become more apparent to me how unpredictable my temper is, I’d probably end up snapping near you and that’s the last thing I want to do. I need a little more time to work on myself before I’d be able to win you over. So, in the meantime you could give Chance a shot, that way in the future he won’t be so mad when I win your heart.”

I laughed a little. “When did you become so conceded?”

“About five minutes ago,” he said in a serious voice that made me start laughing.

I smiled and gave him a small hug. “Well thanks. I’ll think about it.”

He chuckled quietly. “You do that.” He was quiet for a while as we sat there. “Chance must have gone to investigate that sound I heard and he still isn’t back yet. I should go make sure he’s alright.”

“Oh,” I said quietly, starting to worry about Chance. He had been gone for awhile. What if someone grabbed him or did something to him while we were in here talking?