Chapter 27

Elizabeth

“And that’s a bad thing?” I asked.

“Yeah,” Chance said with a laugh, “Her telling father is a very bad thing.”

“There’s a very slim chance that he’ll actually want to help you, like we do,” Jesse explained, “Most likely he’ll want to hold you captive and use you and your gift.”

Chance shifted his weight. “I think he’ll just want to kill her.”

“Chance!” Jesse hissed.

“What!? It’s the truth. Knowing father he’ll just want to be rid of the headache and just kill her.”

I swallowed hard and nodded my head. “Okay, so it is a bad thing then.”

“And since Siena’s telling him,” Chance continued with a yawn, “I’m sure she’ll exaggerate about everything and probably get us in trouble too.”

“That’s right,” Jesse said, more to himself than to us, “She was pretty upset at how much attention we were giving El and how protective we were of her.”

“And that’s a bad thing too?” I asked, feeling a little like a broken record.

Chance stretched out on the couch and Jesse continued. “Definitely. Siena gets jealous easily and after not only verbally defending you, but also physically fighting her off, we have more than fueled the fire.”

“More like lighting a match in a room with fifty gas leaks,” Chance muttered sleepily, followed by his tired imitation of an explosion.

I sighed in frustration. “So I have thoroughly pissed off a very jealous vampire girl who will now run and tell daddy, who in turn will come home, kill me, and punish you two?”

“Yeah,” Jesse responded, “That’s pretty much it in a nut shell.”

“Perfect,” I said with a nervous laugh.

There was silence for a moment and from Chance’s slow, steady breathing, it sounded like he was pretty close to sleep, if he wasn’t already crashed. Jesse shifted his weight, leaning back in the chair he had sat in.

“I think I have a plan,” he said slowly.

My head immediately shot up. “You do!?”

“I don’t know how well it will work but it seems to be the best chance we’ve got.”

“Okay,” I said quickly, willing to try anything if it meant I got to live past tomorrow.

“It’s going to be hard to pull off, and all three of us are going to have to be very exact and pay close attention.”

I nodded. “I can handle that.”

“It might even be a little dangerous.”

“Count me in then,” Chance responded, sounding a little more awake now that we were talking about more interesting things.

“If it’ll save us then I’m in,” I told them.

“Alright,” Jesse said, sliding forward on his chair. “Here’s what we do.”

I yawned as I rubbed my head. “What’s for breakfast?”

“Eggs and toast,” Jesse responded, worry seeping into his voice. “Are you alright? You didn’t push it too far last night, did you?”

I smiled, immediately dropping my hand even though my head still ached. “No, I’m fine. I’ve just never forced more than one vision before. Heck, I haven’t even forced just one vision very many times.”