Chapter 21

Elizabeth

I barely had time to blink before Jesse stepped into the room. “I’m back with a lot of supplies and now I’m going to whip you up something in the kitchen. See you in there in a few?”

“Yeah,” I said with a quick nod, smiling.  

With that he was gone and I heard Chance move across the room. “Hey Chance,” I called.

He stopped. “Yeah?”

“Um, thanks for listening.”

“Any time love.” There was a hint of a smirk in his voice. “But I’m not always so gushy, so don’t get used to it,” he said playfully.

 I smiled and nodded. “Right.”

Jesse

“Are you actually cooking in here?” El asked as she walked in then slowly made her way through the room, a timid hand out in front of her.

I smiled, walking over and taking her hand. “Yes, I am.” I set her hand down on the island in the middle then pulled a stool out for her.

“Really? Because it would be really easy to lie and just make a lot of noise then hand me something you picked up at a fast food joint down the street.”

I laughed then looked to Chance who had just walked in, motioning to the new cooking utensils I’d bought as well as the food. “Please tell her I’m actually cooking.”

Chance shrugged, looking irritated. “He’s actually cooking.”

I pulled my eyebrows together, giving him a questioning look but he just shrugged me off and looked away, refusing to tell me what was wrong.

“But can you cook?” she asked with a smile.

Chance rolled his eyes. “Oh yeah, he’s a freaking master chief,” he said flatly before turning around. “I’m going to get a drink.”

“Alcohol isn’t good for you!” El called after him.

I half-smiled then leaned toward her a bit. “Not that kind of drink.”

She suddenly straightened up, a surprised look on her face. “Oh.” Was all she said and I could tell she was getting uncomfortable. “Do you need to . . .”

“No,” I said with a smile, turning back to the food. “Unlike him, I make sure I stay full.”

“Why?” she asked curiously, leaning forward on the counter.

I stopped for a moment, tensing slightly, then shook my head as I thought of how to respond. I glanced back at her, about to brush it off, but could tell she’d picked up on my mood change. That girl was just too observant.

“It’s just best,” I finally said, putting some things into a bowl.

She was silent for a moment then cleared her throat. “So what are you making?”

“Pasta,” I replied, shaking the bag of pasta before pouring it into the boiling water, “with some vegetables mixed in.”

“Pasta?” she asked with a laugh.

“What’s wrong with that?” I set some things on the island she was sitting at then started chopping some vegetables.

“Nothing it’s just not what I would have expected.” She leaned back, folding her hands in her lap to get them off the counter. “I would have thought you’d make hamburgers or steak or something that has to be fried or grilled. You know,” she said with a smile, “something macho.”