Chapter 22

Elizabeth

I rolled over in the soft bed, trying to fall back asleep, but it wasn’t working too well. My mind was too busy trying to figure out what Chance had talked to Jesse about. It must have been bad because I hadn’t seen Jesse since.

They walked too far away for me to hear them, then Chance popped up while I was finishing my dinner and showed me to the room I would be staying in. He also pointed out the bathroom that attached to it and some clothes I could change into after a shower. I made him promise they didn’t have Barney on them or anything though before I took them. With Chance, who knows what kinds of clothes he’d hand me.

After I got out of the hot shower, which I really needed, and got dressed, I’d walked back into the room and quietly called to both of them, making sure no one was hanging around the room before I crawled into the bed.

I was actually surprised at how comfortable it was. And warm. I really wished I could take this queen sized bed home with me, or at least the soft pillows and blankets.

I was just starting to fall back asleep when I suddenly realized there was the soft sound of someone breathing inside the room. My eyes widened and I rolled over to face the direction it was coming from.

“Hello?” I called, “Who’s there?” When there was no reply, I added, “I can hear you breathing.” Suddenly the breathing stopped, just like that.

I sat up, wanting to roll my eyes and run out of the room screaming at the same time. It really freaked me out for someone to be sitting in here watching me, especially when I didn’t know who it was. For a second I thought it might be Siena, but Chance promised me he would know the second she walked into the house and would stop her from getting to me.

“Just because you stop breathing doesn’t change the fact that I know you’re there,” I said, deciding to just roll my eyes.

There was a small laugh and a chair creaked quietly as the person stood. “Alright, but can you guess who I am?” Well he was obviously one of the twins, I knew that for sure.

“One of my boys,” I said with a small smile.

“Your boys?” he asked, sounding a little cocky. Was it Chance?

I blushed a little, shrugging. He chuckled, slowly moving closer. “Alright, but can you guess which one?” I hesitated for a moment, trying to think. “It’s going to hurt my feelings if you get it wrong,” he said with a playful tone.

The way he was acting definitely seemed like Chance, but there was something off if it was. So was this Jesse?

I bit my lip then held my hand out. “Come here and I’ll tell you.”

He chuckled, moving closer then lightly taking my hand. I smiled, getting more of an idea, but I wanted to be sure.

“Say something,” I told him as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

He laughed once. “Alright, so you just want me to ramble on and on until you know for sure who it is you are talking to? This could take ages sweetheart,” he said with a smile, “Maybe I should come back when you’re more awake and on top of your game.”

“Jesse,” I said with a small grin.

He was quiet for a moment. “How’d you guess?”

“Your voice is a little different,” I said with a smile, sitting up a little straighter, “and you have different word choice than Chance usually. Plus, the way you took my hand gave you away.”

He laughed once. “The way I took your hand? I didn’t realize there was a special way to do that.”

I smiled then laid his hand flat on his leg, lightly laying my hand over his. “There’s a lot you can understand from touch, oddly enough.