Chapter 1

My fingers lightly traced the top of my dresser, searching for my necklace. I usually put it right near the edge, but last night I was too tired and just dropped it somewhere on top. Well, I was regretting that now because I couldn’t find it.

I sighed, getting frustrated and running both hands over the top of the dresser. I knew it had to be there somewhere.

“It’s times like this that I wish I could see,” I muttered to myself.

I knew my brother, Jack, was in the other room and he’d gladly help me find it if I called him, but I just hated asking for help. I was about to give up and yell for him anyway when I felt the cold metal under my fingers.

“Finally!” I picked it up and felt the charm at the end, making sure it was the right one before putting it around my neck.

“Are you ready yet!” Jack yelled from down the hall.

“Hold your horses!” I yelled back, putting on my sunglasses and grabbing my walking stick. To be honest, I didn’t use the stupid thing that much, mostly I kept it folded up and shoved in my bag. But it made Jack feel better to know I had it.

“I’m coming,” I said as I walked through my door and down the hall, not bothering to use the wall as a guide. I knew our house like the back of my hand.

“Well since you can’t actually see a clock, allow me to interpret it for you,” he said in his annoyed tone. “We’re going to be late!”

I smiled. “I’m fully aware of what time it is, so stop over reacting. We have enough time to get to school and not be late. Now let’s go.” 

I walked out the front door and toward his truck, putting my hand out as I got close so I wouldn’t run into it. He followed after me, but something was different about him, I could feel it.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, opening the door and climbing inside.

“I’m not so sure about this Liz.”

I smiled. “I’ll be fine. I’ve already got it all worked out with all my teachers, and you’ve walked me all over the campus so many times during the weekends that I’ve got it memorized. You’re more likely to get lost there than me.”

He sighed and I could imagine him giving me that worried look of his. “But it’s different when there are people everywhere, pushing through the halls. You could get hurt.”

“I’m fine,” I said, giving him my best smile. “If anyone tries to knock me over, I’ll just whip their butts.” I grinned as I held up my walking stick.

I heard him chuckle as he turned the truck on and pulled out of the driveway. “Alright, but if you have any problems, any at all, call me immediately. I don’t care if I’m in the middle of class, call me.”

“Yes sir,” I rolled my eyes then reached forward, feeling the buttons of the radio and turning up the music.

So Jack was a little right; it was different with all the other people in the halls. I still knew where I was going, but it was just harder to get there. I had made my way to the wall and was sticking close to it, that way I wouldn’t run into people.

I’d almost made it to my first class when I heard a shrill, excited girl scream out. “Bethy! Bethy, Bethy, Bethy!”

I smiled, turning around to face her. “Hey Jenna.”

Jenna and I had been friends for a long time, she even stuck with me after the accident. When she heard that I was going to try a normal school, she immediately transferred over. Of course it took some convincing to get her parents to let her, but she’s a master at that.