Chapter 26

Elizabeth

I jumped at the sound of his voice then stumbled back a step. “I- I- I well,” I stuttered, holding my arms close to my body so I didn’t touch anything.

“Are you alright?” he asked, his voice was soft, but laced with suspicion.

“Of course,” I said a little too quickly, “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You seem frightened.” He took a step forward and I quickly stepped back. “Are- are you scared of me? El-“

“Stay back!” I yelled as he tried to take another step toward me.

It suddenly felt like all the air was sucked out of the room. “You saw them, or felt them, didn’t you? The marks on-“

“Everything!?” I said quickly, trying not to panic. “Where did they all come from Jesse?”

“From me.” His voice was so quiet I hardly heard him. “They’re all from me.”

I took a slow step back. “I’ve really wanted to ignore what Chance has been saying and just trust you, but this makes it really hard.”

“Just let me explain.” He stepped forward and I backed up, I kept backing up until he had me backed into the wall. “I would never hurt you,” he whispered, lighting putting a hand on the side of my face. “Please let me explain.”

Not really seeing much of an option, I nodded. He took a step back but I stayed where I was, waiting to see what he had to say.

“Chance is very open about what he is, even though he hates it the most, and he just is what he is. He lets himself be the creature he is, lets himself be angry and violent when he feels the need. But me . . . I refuse to act that way around others, so I lock that part of me away.”

I listened carefully then nodded slowly. “And what’s locked away eventually has to come out?”

There was a small, humorless laugh. “Exactly. I don’t want to hurt anyone though . . . so I just lock myself in my room and let it all out.” He stepped forward and put a hand on the side of my face, leaning closer to me.

“That’s why I’d never hurt you, El. I just don’t let myself act like a monster when I’m around other people, especially you. I wait until I’m alone.”

Part of me was comforted by what he was saying, while the other part of me was more worried than before.

“And that actually works?” I asked quietly, still nervous.

“Perfectly, until Chance pushes me a step too far . . . then I take it all out on him.” His voice grew quieter, as if he was embarrassed by what he was saying.

“But it’s only because I know he can handle it, and he’s a brat,” there was a small smile in his voice and it helped me to relax a little more. “I would never, ever hurt you El. You have to believe that.”

I nodded slowly, knowing deep down that he meant what he was saying. “I know . . .”

“Promise you won’t worry about these anymore then?” he asked, lightly taking my hand.

I nodded, though I was sure my mind would wonder later.

“Let’s go back downstairs,” he said, lightly pulling me toward the door.

“Okay,” I said quickly, ready to be away from all the creepy claw marks.

He laughed once then led me out of the room and down the hall.

“Soooo I guess you guys have really sharp nails?” I meant it as a statement but it came out as more of a question. I shut my mouth as soon as I said it though, thinking he might get upset since I just promised not to worry about all that stuff.