Chapter 13

Elizabeth

Jack and I hadn’t really said anything to each other all morning. I’m sure he was still convinced the boys did something to me last night, something he probably thought I was too embarrassed to admit, but they hadn’t! Only problem was I couldn’t tell him what we were actually doing, searching for a book that would say if I had the sight or not, because he’d think I was crazy! And every excuse I made up just made it seem worse. So I’d stopped trying.

The drive to school was extremely quiet as well, and the most awkward thing I’d ever experienced. I could tell that Jack wanted to say something but couldn’t and was freaking out about it. After all, he was my big brother, not a parent, he had no clue how to deal with things like this. Not that were was anything for him to deal with, but of course he didn’t believe that.

I was so grateful when he pulled into the parking lot and I could finally get out of the car. I thought I was home free when I heard someone call my name.

“Elizabeth!” one of the twins yelled from a small distance away. “How are you? You alright?” He asked, getting closer. I was leaning toward it being Jesse, though it could be Chance having a good moment I suppose.

“You,” Jack said in a low voice, “Jesse, right?”

“Yeah,” he said, slowing down as he came closer, “and you must be Jack, her-“

It only took Jack a few steps to close the distance between him and Jesse and a second later I heard his fist hitting Jesse, hard. Jesse stumbled back a few steps.

“Jack!” I yelled, but he just ignored me.

“You stay away from my little sister you little creep!!”

“Och,” that smug voice said, coming up beside Jesse. Chance. “But what if we don’t want to leave her alone? She’s just such an . . . interesting girl.”

“No, no, no!” I yelled, running to Jack’s side and grabbing his arm before he could hit Chance too. It took me a couple of tries to find his arm, but once I did, I held it in a death grip. “Don’t, please! Nothing happened, he’s just trying to push your buttons. It’s what Chance does.”

“Leave it alone, Chance,” Jesse said in his stern voice.

“Stay the hell away from my sister, both of you!” Jack yelled again, trying to yank his arm away.

There was a deep laugh that could only be Chance’s. “Well that’s no fun.”

“Cut it out!”

“Back off asshole!”

“Stay out of it already.”

They were talking so fast and so loud that all their voices were blending together in my mind.

“Took me years to find a girl as interesting as her, I’m not backing off now.”

“I swear to God-“

“Stop it, now!”

“If either of you come near her again!”

“Actually, whether we see her or not, is not your decision.”

“Yeah, and we can see her whenever we want.”

“You two perverted little punks, I’ll kick your ass if you come near her again! If you even look at her!”

There was a quiet growl, so quiet I was probably the only one to hear it. “You can’t keep me from her, not if she wants to see me. So back off!”