Chapter 28

Elizabeth

Vicious growling erupted in the room as all hell broke loose. Chance was the first to move, colliding with something just in front of me. Next, Jesse grabbed my arm and pulled me back before colliding with someone else a few feet away.

My heart started to race, my head turning from side to side as I tried desperately to keep up with what was going on. I grabbed my head in frustration, not even knowing where to move to so I’d be safe.

A sickly laugh suddenly echoed through the room, sending shivers down my spine. Siena. I completely forgot that she was here too. Out of all the noise going on around me, my ears zoned in on the sound of high heels hitting the ground as the girl slowly walked over to me.

I quickly moved back, only to run into someone who growled in return. My eyes widened and I stumbled away, bumping into another growling vampire. I started to shake, frozen to my spot; if I moved I’d just bump into someone else who wanted to kill me.

There was a slight breeze of air across my face like someone moving to hit me then another breeze from the side as someone jumped in front of me.

“Move El,” Jesse growled, taking care of the vampire for me.

I nodded and quickly moved back, skidding to a stop when I realized Siena and her high heels were coming from the direction I was moving, and now only a few feet away.

“Not that way!” Chance yelled, grabbing my arm and jerking me in the other directing.

“Where do I go!?” I yelled out in frustration, not even sure which direction I was facing anymore.

“Just run!” both twins yelled in unison.

I stood there for a moment, listening to the insane amount of noise. Where the boys really taking on all of these vampires by themselves?

“Now would be nice,” Chance added in a strained voice, sounding like he was struggling at the moment.

Taking a quick breath, I started to run across the room, hoping I was going in the right direction. Every couple of steps I’d bump into a growling vampire but before any of them could touch me, one of the twins would pull it away or spin me in a new direction.

I tried to relax some and focus, trusting that they wouldn’t let me get hurt, and followed the directions they kept shouting to me.

“Duck!” Chance yelled.

I quickly ducked down, hearing something heavy wiz over my head and collide with someone. My eyes widened at how close that had been.

“And now run!” Jesse yelled like I was an idiot. “To your right.”

I jumped up and ran to my right, my hands reached out in front of me. My body relaxed slightly when I finally felt the wall in front of me and hurried to the side, trailing my hand along it and looking for the window.

“Going somewhere,” Siena growled, now standing in front of me.

I jumped back but she quickly grabbed my arm, pulling me forward. “Let go!” I yelled, trying to pull away.

“Not a chance,” she smirked. “Oh daddy! Look what I –“

She cut off as a window busted behind me. Siena’s hand suddenly disappeared from my arm, replaced by Chance’s careful grip.

“I’ll be taking that,” Chance smirked to Siena as he pulled me back a few feet. “I hate to bail on this welcome party so early,” Chance teased, scooping me up in his arms, “but we gotta run!”