Chapter 6

Elizabeth

I heard Jenna calling to me as I crossed the street, asking where I had been. Then she stopped mid-sentence and I realized I was being followed.

“Chance is behind me, isn’t he?” I asked when I finally reached Jenna.

“As a matter of fact, I am,” he whispered in my ear before walking around me and standing between Jenna and I. “How’ve you been hottie?”

Jenna giggled then moved closer to Chance and it became quiet, too quiet.

“Please tell me you’re not kissing him Jenna!”

She giggled, taking a step back. “Alright,” Chance said in a smug voice, “if you don’t want to know, then we won’t tell you.”

I crossed my arms. “You ready to go home now Jenna?”

“Uh-“

“I’ve got a great idea,” Chance said, sounding even closer to Jenna. I just hoped he wasn’t standing there with his arm around her. “Why don’t the three of us go walk through the park? It has this real eerie feel to it at night, it rocks.”

“Totally!” Jenna said a little too quickly. And little too closely to Chance. If they were that close, then he definitely had his arm around her. “That would be so cool, let’s go!”

I sighed and followed after them, listening as Jenna flirted shamelessly. This was worse than listening to her flirting with Jack. But what was even worse was when I didn’t hear her flirting with Chance, because then I was sure it was because they were kissing.

Really Jenna? You’ve only known this guy a couple of days and you’re already kissing him this much? He better be really freaking hot. No, even then I still didn’t condone it.

We had finally reached the park; I could feel the soft, earthy ground under my feet. Even though I couldn’t see it, I still understood what Chance had meant earlier. This place did feel eerie after dark. Most of the animals were asleep, so it was really quiet, except for the few raccoons and opossums rustling in the bushes here and there. Something about this normally lively place being deserted just made it even worse.

Chance and Jenna were quiet again, other than a few sounds I’d rather not have heard, and I let out a loud sigh.

“Just because I’m blind doesn’t mean you can start making-out in front of me! I still know you’re doing it!”

“Bethy!” Jenna said quickly, half embarrassed that I’d said something, half shocked that I’d said I was blind.

“He already knows.”

“I figured it out,” Chance said, that smirk in his voice. “Wasn’t too hard, really.” Chance suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me up to the other side of him. “Don’t be so anti-social, hanging in the back.”

“Well I’d rather be tagging along in the back than up here listening to you two swap spit.” I leaned forward so Jenna had a better view of me as I started in on my mini lecture. “You should not be kissing him, Jen! We shouldn’t even be hanging out with him, we barely know him. So you definitely shouldn’t be kissing him!”

I was still playing my dream over and over in my head, comparing it to what actually happened. All of it matched up perfectly, until I stepped in that is, so it only makes sense that the end would have been the same to. But there was no way Chance could be a . . . a . . . I couldn’t even think it. Because those things aren’t real! Even if it did make sense in a really weird way. But even if it wasn’t true, I still couldn’t let Jenna throw herself at him. Chance was a creep and a weirdo and not someone we should be around!