Chapter 29

Elizabeth

“Chance!” I whisper yelled for the fifth time in ten minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever blushed this much in my life.

Jesse growled as Chance laughed. “I’m just saying,” Chance said as he stopped laughing, “I’m going to be thinking about that taste all night.”

Jesse growled a little louder. “Yes, we get it,” he said shortly, “Her blood was amazing, now shut up!”

“Is someone jealous?” Chance teased.

Jesse grumbled. “You know, it’d help us run from the murderous group chasing us if you would shut up!”

“Would both of you please shut up?” I asked, taking a slow breath and pulling my hair to the side as the blush finally completely left my face.

Jesse let out a calming breath and Chance chuckled, but they didn’t say anything else. I sighed at the silence and listened to their footsteps as I followed them, happy they were actually letting me walk on my own.

My hand subconsciously moved down to my wrist and I rubbed the place where Chance bit me. My eyes widened slightly as I rubbed my sensitive fingertips over the place again; even I couldn’t feel a thing. No marks, no scars, not a single flaw in my skin. It was like the bite never happened!

“It’s gone,” I muttered quietly.

Chance was suddenly beside me, leaning uncomfortably close. “You sound so disappointed,” he smirked, “Do you want me to bite you again? I wouldn’t mind getting another taste.”

A shiver went down my spine at the thought and I moved away. “No thank you.”

Jesse growled as he lightly put an arm around me, “Lay off already. You’re starting to creep her out.”

“Sorry,” Chance said in a lighter tone, “Forgive me my dear Elizabeth?” I froze as he carefully took my hand, acting very dramatic.

“I don’t know what seems weirder, you acting like this or the fact that you called me Elizabeth.”

Jesse laughed once. “It’s all weird, he’s just a weird person.”

Chance let go of my hand and gave a dramatic huff. “Where’s your sense of humor? Both of you!”

“Maybe I dropped it back at the house when I was running for my life,” I said slowly, emphasizing every word at the end.

Chance smirked sarcastically, “Jeeze Lizzy, you only have every vampire in the area on red alert to kill you. I just don’t see why you don’t have a sense of humor.”

I smiled at his sarcasm and couldn’t help but laugh.

“Hey,” Chance said, sounding genuinely happy, “I made her relax and laugh!”

“Good for you,” Jesse replied, the hint of a smile in his voice.

“How much longer do we have to walk?” I asked, starting to get tired. It felt like we’d been wondering through the forest for hours.

Jesse hugged me closer for a moment. “You can rest soon.”

My heart skipped a beat as I heard something rustle in the bushes behind us. “What’s that?” I whispered, turning toward the noise.

“A rabbit,” Jesse answered in a quiet voice.

“Are you sure?”

“Definitely,” Chance said, sounding disgusted, “I can smell its blood from here. Bleh.”