Chapter 34

Elizabeth

I took a slow deep breath, trying to stay calm. My hands reached out to the sides and I could feel the soft walls of the coffin around me. At least I had a pillow to lay my head on. You know, if it wasn't such a tight enclosed space, it would actually be comfortable in here.

Who was I kidding!? This was horrible! I was trapped in a small, tight coffin and for all I knew they could have buried me and left me trapped underground!! I kicked my feet around, freaking out the more they bumped into the sides and slammed my fist once on the lid.

I heard movement outside and froze. "Guys?" I called cautiously.

There was a soft knock on the lid. "Knock knock," Chance said, a smirk in his voice.

"Let me out!" I yelled, pushing on the lid.

"Oh come one," Chance whined, "This is the perfect set up for a knock knock joke, humor me."

I sighed, taking a calming voice and trying not to freak out.

Chance knocked twice on the lid. "Knock knock."

"Who's there?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Waddle," he responded cheerily.

"Waddle who?"

"Waddle you give me if I let you out?"

"Chance!" I yelled. "I'm claustrophobic, remember! This is a very, very tight space."

"Fine," he sighed and the lid opened.

I sat up so fast that I got whiplash and took several deep breaths. "It is no fun being in there."

"Yeah," Chance said, leaning on the side of the coffin. "Now you know how we vampires feel."

I narrowed my eyes toward him. "You don't sleep in coffins."

"And now you know why," he answered simply.

"Okay, can I get out now?" I asked quickly, holding out a hand in hopes he'd help me out.

He took my hand but didn't move out of my way yet. "So soon?"

I narrowed my eyes again. "I've been stuck in there for a whole fake funeral and the whole time you guys were switching the coffins, worrying someone would mess up and I'd be buried instead of the fake one. Yes I'm ready to get out!"

He chuckled and helped me out of the creepy coffin. "Relax, we'd never burry you."

"And if we did, I'd make Chance dig you back up," Jesse responded, his footsteps growing closer.

"Surprisingly that's not very comforting," I said, pointing my narrowed eyes in Jesse's direction.

"Relax," Chance said, wrapping his arms around me, "We actually pulled it off! The vampire world thinks you're dead and now they won't try to kidnap you or kill you anymore!"

"Yeah, but let's not do that again," I muttered, closing my eyes and trying to relax.

Jesse chuckled, a bit of Chance's smirk in his voice. "What? You didn't have fun?"

"Being used as vampire bait in a forest then purposely getting taken hostage AND standing there waiting for a psycho vamp to shoot me isn't my idea of fun."

"Hey, you had a bullet proof vest on," Jesse responded.

"That I stashed in the equipment room, thank you very much," Chance added, his arm still around me.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "It still hurt though, and standing there waiting to get shot was torture. What if he decided to shoot me in the head!?"