Chapter 16

Elizabeth

“Bethy,” Jenna said in a sweet, soft voice that made me wonder what she was up to. “Get up Bethy.”

I grumbled then rolled over, burying my face in my pillow.

“Bethy!” she yelled, pulling the pillow out from under my head.

“Where’s the snooze button!” I yelled in a tired voice as I sleepily reached a hand out and hit at her. “Snooze, snooze.”

“Fine,” she said, a grin in her voice. “Then I’ll tell you the hard way.”

I grumbled and felt around for the other pillow, pulling it under my head as she opened the window. “cooold,” I said quietly as the icy breeze hit me.

Jenna giggled, closing the window and walking back over. “Wake up!” She yelled.

Suddenly a ball of ice hit the side of my head and my neck. I took in a deep breath and jumped up, trying to push it all off me. “COLD!” I yelled.

I could hear Jenna fall on the floor laughing.

“Jenna!” I yelled, trying to throw what hadn’t melted yet back at her. “What was that for?”

She stopped laughing enough to get out, “It’s snowing!”

That got me up and I quickly stumbled over to the window. “Snowing!?” I threw open the window and leaned my head and hands out. Sure enough, little snowflakes were falling on me.

“And I know you can’t see it, so I’ll just tell you. There’s a butt load of snow on the ground out there!!”

I pulled my head back in and closed the window. “Then how are we going to get to school?”

She giggled crazily. “There’s no school today!”

“Snow day?”

“Snow day!”

“Snow day!” I echoed before running back over and jumping onto the bed. “COLD snow day!” I started to pull the blanket back over me but Jenna just pulled it back off.

“No! Get up and get dressed, we’re going to enjoy this snow day the right way.”

I smiled as I sat up. “You know I suck at snowball fights, right?”

She started cracking up then grabbed my arm and pulled me up. “I’ll talk the whole time so you have something to aim at, just come on!!!”

“What’s new?” I asked with a grin, slowly moving to the closet where we’d thrown my bag with my clothes.

“Hey!” She stopped for a minute. “Well, true. Just hurry!!”

So I wasn’t really too sure about this whole snow thing. Since I couldn’t see it, I was sure this was a disaster waiting to happen. But it turns out I’m pretty good in snow! And Jenna did talk the whole time, so I ended up actually hitting her quite a lot.

When we were both freezing and covered in snow, we decided to finally go inside for lunch and some hot chocolate her mom made us.

“Mmmmmm,” Jenna said from across the table. “Nothing like hot chocolate on a snow day.”

“Now my insides are all warm,” I said in a funny voice, making Jenna laugh.

Jenna’s phone beeped, which it did often, alerting her that she had a text. “EEEEEEE!” she squealed excitedly. “Nearly everyone in our class is meeting in that clearing by the school for an epic snow battle. We have to-“ she cut off and suddenly got really quiet.