Chapter 24

Elizabeth

“I’m scared,” I said, closing my eyes tight.

Chance laughed. “Come on you chicken, it’s not that bad.”

“But I can’t see anything! I could get hurt!!”

“It’s just sledding!” he laughed again but it sounded like he was starting to get frustrated. “Besides, I won’t let you get hurt.”

I sighed, sitting on the front of the makeshift sled, and leaned back on Chance who was sitting behind me. “Do you even know how to steer this thing?”

He chuckled, leaning his head over my shoulder. “Would you rather steer?”

“No,” I said quickly. He leaned back and I chewed on my lip for a minute, thinking. “Promise you won’t let me fall off?”

“Promise. Can we go now? The snow’s going to melt before you make up your mind.”

I jabbed him with my elbow then crossed my arms. “Fine, then I guess it’ll be okay if-“

“Finally,” he said quickly, not even waiting for me to finish before he pushed of the top of the hill.

I let out a small scream as the sled flew down the slope. Chance laughed and wrapped an arm around me, holding me close so I wouldn’t slip off.

“Isn’t this fun!” he yelled out as the sled picked up speed.

“No!” I yelled back, trying to keep the smile off my face.

I could feel the slant of the sled decreasing as the hill came to an end and started to relax.

“Uh oh,” Chance said behind me.

“Uh oh? No uh oh! What’s uh oh!?”

“I didn’t think about all these trees at the bottom, I think we might hit one!”

My eyes widened and I leaned back on him. “Chance, I’m going to kill you!” I yelled. “Steer us away!!”

The sled slowed to a stop and he started cracking up laughing. “I really had you worried didn’t I?”

I stood up and turned my head a few times. “There aren’t really any trees down here, are there?”

He laughed then took my hand and pointed it in the direction we had been sledding. “There are, about a hundred yards that way.”

I pulled my hand away and hit his chest a couple of times. “You jerk, we wouldn’t of hit those!”

“I know,” he said, that smirk of his in his voice.

I hit his chest one more time, still upset. “Don’t do that! You really had me scared! I want to be able to trust you.” My voice slowly lost its edge as I finished my rant.

Chance stepped closer and took my hand, holding it up between us as he closed the gap. “You can trust me,” he whispered, leaning his head by mine. “You can always trust me, because with me, what you see is what you get.” I felt like that was a stab at Jesse and this other side of him that Chance had been hinting at.

He stepped back, still holding onto my hand, and the smirk returned to his voice. “I may screw with you from time to time, but you can trust I won’t let you get hurt.”

I smiled and looked to the side then felt for the sled with my foot. “Think we can go again, now that I know you won’t get me killed?”

He laughed then started pulling me up the hill, the sled in his other hand. “We’re definitely going again.”