ch.20 Dead or alive

I was on a boat. How did I get out of the castle? I turned and twirled in circles, extatic that I was out on dry land, well, on water, but sitll outside. I took a deep breath and inhaled the salty air. I even kissed the boat railing. Then I looked up. I was on the same boat as the night of the shipwreck.

Quickly, I searched the deck in the midst of all the choas. People pushed and barged their way past me and behind me, completely ignoring me as they fought to make it onto the boats. As horrible but understandable as it is, I was looking for Sebastian. I had to know that he was OK.

Suddenly, I glanced down at myself. I felt very heavy and I saw that I was wearing my red gown, the one Zayn had designed for me. It was stunning, but looked slightly snobby amongst the normally dressed and frantically running passengers. But, what's more, I didn't have my pearl. I gave it to Zayn. 

I stopped dragging my dress along when I saw a man at the opposite end of the deck. I stared at the tall man with his thick, strong, bulky arms and soft brown eyes. Sebastian. 

My heart did somersaults in my chest. He was alive. He was alive! I'm alive and here with him. I ran to him, completely having forgotten everything, even Zayn.

It was like we were at the scene of the crime and I could either and avoid the 'crime' from happening by following Sebastian onto a boat and making sure he got on, too. Or, I could let everything follow through and the shipwreck would happen, Zayn imprisoning me would happen, and me falling in love with him would happen, too.

Sebastian saw me and his eyes light up eagerly. He ran to me and we met halfway, but he had chains over his ankles and arms, just the way Zayn had chained me after I tried to escape him. My chest twitched uneasily. Where is Zayn?...  

Sebastian took my face in his hands and looked into my eyes as if it were his last time.

"Tar, you have to get on a boat" he told me urgently. 

"No" I shook my head furiously. I couldn't let myself lose him twice, but I also couldn't have both Zayn and Sebastian. I couldn't be Zayn's Queen and Sebastian's girl. I had to be one or the other.

"Sebastian, why are you chained up? Who did this to you?" I asked hurriedly, even though I had a good idea who had done it.

Sebastian looked down for a moment. Then he shook his head and patted my cheek softly with his large, but still soft hands.

"Tar, as long as you wear the pearl, you'll always be mine and I'll always be yours" he whispered in my ear.

He let his hard, but protective fingers glide down my neck as he tried to trace the curve of the necklace, but it wasn't there.

Sebastian moved the strap of my dress and he stared at my chest, horrified that the necklace wasn't there. I felt my heart sink low in the pit of my stomach. I was unfaithful to him. I gave my pearl to someone else, to Zayn.

***

I jolted up as my chest jerked and twisted with guilt.

I turned to see Zayn lying, slepping peacefully next to me. His lashes fluttered softly in sync with the rise and fall of his chest.

For a moment, I held my breath and watched him. I loved him. I love him and he never hurt me in the time that he kidnapped me, so I don't regret giving myself to him, to agreeing to stay and be his Queen, but I can't delete Sebastian from my mind. Clearly, my dream had proven that I hadn't forgotten about him and Jimmy, Jimmy helped resurface that.

Quietly, I tip-toed out of bed. I had to find Jimmy. I had to ask him how he came back, how he found me, but, most importantly, where Sebastian was and if he was ok. And what if Sebastian wasn't a-alive? What would I do then? But if he was, what would I say?