ch.19- Remember

Zayn began kissing down my neck as he held me softly to him. I felt overwhelmingly cold every time I  squirmed from his grip, so I wrapped my arms around him, not wanting him to let go, never wanting him to leave.

Someone cleared their throat behind us. We turned slowly, almost in annoyance. A young man stood before us. He was quite young and his hair was a lank brown, slightly disheveled and long at the ends, but matted back nicely. His eyes were round, round and a purplish-blue like blueberries. He looked so familiar to me, like I knew him in another life, the life I had before I was here with Zayn.

"May I steal her for a moment?" he asked Zayn. Zayn tightened his grip around my waist almost immediately. 

Steal... escape...those were still sensitve words to him.

I looked up at Zayn as he glared at the man as if he had asked to take me forever.

The man grinned slightly, like he wanted to piss Zayn off by asking to dance with me.

"Zayn" I spoke up. 

They both focused their attention on me as if having forgotten I was still there despite that I was the center of their hesitant dispute.

"Zayn" I raised my voice a bit and touched his cheek.

Zayn turned to face me and he held my hands in his, squeezing him slightly. 

"It'll just be a minute" I told him casually. I figured I might as well start learning names of all the commoners and the ball would be a great start."

Zayn took my face in his hands and kissed me, letting his tongue remind me that I was still and will always be his, while also making it clear to the man who had interrupted us.

The man had turned away uncomfortably when Zayn kissed me. 

I took a step toward him. He took my hand in his and led me off to a quieter portion of the dance floor.

"You look lovely, my Queen" he grinned.

"Thank you, you look very handsome, too" I told him politely. He bit down on his lip and blushed slightly.

"That means a lot coming from you" he told me vaguely, but with enough emphasis on "you" to make me think something of it.

"Well I'm sure lots of other girls here would agree with me" I smiled. 

He took my hand in his and rested his other hand at the small of my back, holding me to him very faintly, like he was afraid to touch me.

I turned to see Zayn glaring at him. Of course he was scared to touch me, the king was cursing him with his hypnotic eyes.  

"You think so?" he asked a bit hopefully.

He glanced around the room, looking for any other young, maybe a bit shy girls that he could talk to. He seemed quite shy himself and yet he had asked me, the Queen (not that I think any more highly of myself) to dance.

"Of course" I nodded. 

He tightened his grip, becoming a bit more confident and comfortable now.

I looked up into his eyes. He wasn't intimidating in the least, but rather there was a softness to him that made me want to comfort him, to protect him even, something I might never be able to do with Zayn. 

He looked down at my face and then down at my dress almost as if he couldn't put the two together. Did I really look that awkward as a queen?

He watched my eyes for a long moment, like he was trying to find someone inside me. Then he tilted my chin up slightly as he looked deeper into my eyes, down at my lips and my cheeks as if he were trying to memorize every little detail.