ch.12- Escape

I stared at Zayn as he gripped the iron bars of the cell. The exhilarating excitement of being free, finally being free, was quickly melting away as I saw the desperation and horror in Zayn's face.

He had truly believed I wanted him, maybe even loved him...Hell, I almost believed myself. 

"Please, princess?" he begged in a quiet, broken voice, not his usual, smooth velvety tone.

Something in my chest twisted. 

I squeezed the key in my hand and looked at him. I was a hypocrite, a goddamn hypocrite. Here I was locking him in the way he had kept me and now I was no better for doing the same to him.

"TARINI!" Zayn growled as anger replaced his momentary desperation and confusion. He pulled at the iron bars and the muscles he kept so calm under his tux rippled and flexed as he tried to escape.

I took a hesitant step back afraid he might be able to open the cell with his mind.

"LET ME OUT, TARINI!" he bellowed and he stared at me with such contempt, I felt my skin burning of guilt and fear. 

"N-no" I stuttered and I held onto the door we had entered from, for support.

I squinted at Zayn and saw that his eyes released a kind of red fume, just like they had this morning in the shower.

Quickly, I turned away, avoiding his eyes in case he could slip into my mind that way and convince me to open his door.

"TARINI, I COMMAND YOU TO GET BACK HERE!" he ordered. 

I shook my head quickly. 

"YOU CAN'T ORDER ME TO DO ANYTHING!" I shouted back, regaining the anger and frustration I had felt in the weeks he had kept me hostage.

"PRINCESS, IF YOU DON'T OPEN THIS CELL RIGHT NOW, I SWEAR TO GOD YOU WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF SUN AGAIN!" he threatened.

I grasped the key more tightly now.

"You're going to kill me, huh?! Well even more reason to escape!" I retorted.

Zayn's chest practically deflated. His eyes widened in horror and he shook his head slowly.

"No, baby, I would never dare hurt you" he shook his head slowly, urging me to believe him.

I avoided his eyes and clung to the door that led to my freedom.

"PRINCESS!"

"STOP CALLING ME PRINCESS!"

"Please, I need you" he begged and he got down on his needs as if having lost all the engery in his body. 

"WHAT DO YOU NEED ME FOR, YOU CREEP!?" I demanded. What on earth could he 'need' me for? How had he been living 18 or 19 or 20 years without me and suddely 'need' to take me hostage?

Zayn opened his mouth to speak, but he really had no answer. I shook my head, just as I thought; he wanted 'it,' nothing more, nothing less, just like the rest. 

Zayn stared at my chest, at my necklace, the pearl one that Sebastian had given me. 

He had eyed it once or twice before, but it couldn't have anything to do with what I thought. Zayn has had his powers his whole life, right?

I didn't wait for an answer and ran out the way we had come. I tugged the door shut and didn't dare look back.

***

I heard Zayn calling my name, calling me his princess and what not, but I closed my eyes and started running faster and faster into the depths of the forest.