Chapter 22 - Do your remember the way I held your hand?

Chapter 22 – Do you remember the way I held your hand?

Oliver’s Point of View

The party that night seemed to change everything, as if something deep within all of us clicked and we were forever changed. I remember that night pretty vividly because, unlike all my peers, I wasn’t piss drunk, trying to forget my own name. I was as sober as I had been for the eighteen years of my life before then.

I was never one for drinking and partying, it never was my thing. I liked to stay in and read books or something. And yet, I let myself be dragged to the party that ruined anything good any of us had. It was a bomb, just waiting to go off and destroying everything in its wake.

Rex had dragged me there; he heard about the party from one of his rebel friends at school and somehow found out Linx was going to be there. He was still out for revenge since he found out she had been playing us the whole time.

Music was pulsating through the entire house as if we were standing on one big amp. Teenagers swayed to the continuous beats, grinding against each other in hopes of getting laid by the hottie next to them. Smoke danced over our heads, coming from a few potheads in the corner of the living room.

I coughed a few times, looking around at all the bright lights, high hopes, and even higher teens. Rex grinned, as if the party was the greatest thing he’d ever seen in his entire life. I, on the other hand, had been there a total of three minutes and already wanted to go home.

“This night is going to be amazing; I can just feel it.” He chirped over the loud music, giving me a good thump on the back. I doubted it though; I had a weird feeling in the pit of my stomach that begged to differ with Rex’s notion.

I gave him a weak smile, nodding my head and crossing my arms over my chest. “Me too,” I lied, not wanting to crush my brother’s dreams of a fantastic party. His cheeky grin widened at my words, but he glanced behind me and his bright, blue eyes seemed to twinkle in excitement. I glanced to where he was looking and spotted none other than Linx. My heart fluttered against my ribcage and I sighed; she was just so beautiful.

His posture stiffened as he saw what she was doing on the dance floor: grinding up against America’s golden boy. His bright gaze turned into piercing daggers and stomped after her. I sighed, rolling my eyes and heading in the opposite direction. I didn’t want to get caught in whatever shit Rex was about to cause.

I traveled through the crowd of hormonal teenagers and found myself in the kitchen. Grabbing a pop bottle, I opened it and poured myself a glass, praying that it wasn’t spiked. Though I was in the kitchen, I could still see all the craziness that was happening in the living room through the doorway, as long as a lustful couple wasn’t enjoying themselves against the doorway and blocking my view.

I took a long, much-needed sip and let myself relax, closing my eyes and just listening to the music. By the time I opened my eyes, at least a few minutes had passed. I glanced through the doorway and spotted a familiar streak of black hair storm out of the house, obviously pissed. I sighed, “What the hell happened now?”

I rolled my eyes, not really wanting to know what happened and taking a sip, spotting Linx climbing on to the sketchy stage they had set up. Soon enough, her voice began to float through the air waves.

 I moved to stand in the doorway to watch Linx, accidently bumping into a girl passing through. I turned to apologize, but all I saw was the back of a petite girl with fire-engine red hair. I shrugged it off, turning back to the stage with Linx singing her heart out. She was actually pretty amazing.