Chapter 25 - They fade away.

Chapter 25 – They fade away.

Linx’s Point of View

“Can you guess what I got just for you?” A voice chimed from behind me, covering my eyes with one hand and shutting down any hopes of seeing the surprise.

I giggled softly to myself, smiling, already knowing who could be doing such a thing. “Um, I don’t know. A free sample of something you got from the store this morning?” I guessed, trying to peek through his fingers.

“Close,” He chuckled, pulling his hand away and revealing a Snickers bar with a candle shoved through the middle of it. “Happy birthday, babe. It’s the big one-eight. Feel old yet?” He snickered with a quirky grin, plopping down on the bed.

“I love it,” I whispered with a small smile, looking over at the candy and then at him. My smile turned into a full out grin as I scooted my desk chair next to him, leaning over and kissing his cheek. “To be honest, I kind of forgot it was today.” I shrugged, pulling the unlit candle out of the Snickers and passing it over to him to suck on as I began to eat the marvelous candy.

“How could you possibly forget?”

I shrugged once more. “I’ve been working really hard lately so it just kind of slipped my mind.” It was ture; I had been working my ass off since Rex and I made up, trying to get my life back together and my grades up. “I really want to take that trip this summer.”

“The one to England?”

I nodded, glancing over at him. “It’s really my only chance to get out of this crummy town. It’s almost an all-or-nothing kind of thing.” I offered him the other half of the Snickers bar and he took it eagerly. “With you going back to Beverly Hills for the summer, I need to do something with my life, I guess, to distract me from you being gone again.”

“Linx,” He whispered, cupping my cheeks and forcing me to look into his eyes. “I’ll be by your side as long as you want me there.” He smiled at me, a bit of chocolate caked on the corner of his mouth. “I love you, Linx. I really do.”

I giggled, wiping away the chocolate with my thumb gently. “I love you, too, Rex.” I smiled, kissing his cheek. “You and all your dorky components.”

“Then go to dinner with me tonight.” He said with a little quirk of his lips. “Let’s spend your birthday the right way.” He pressed his lips to my forehead and I grinned, nodding as excitement filling my body. “Then pack for two days.” He commanded as he practically bolted out of the room in an instant.

“Wait, what?!”

*~*

There were candles everywhere, surrounding a small table set up next to the river. The sun was barely dancing behind the trees, leaving the area in a soft glow. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes. “It’s so beautiful, Rex.” I sniffled, fanning at my eyes in hopes not to ruin my make-up. “This is the best birthday present I’ve ever gotten, by far.”

“And it will only get better, love.” He smirked, kissing the back of my hand as he walked me to the table. “I have more presents.”

I blinked at him for a moment before furrowing my eyebrows. “Rex, babe, this is more than enough.” I chuckled, placing a hand lightly on his chest. “I don’t need a whole bunch of presents.”

“Yes, you do.” He replied, placing his hand on mine and running his thumb teasingly over the back of my hand. “You deserve the best and I plan to give that to you.” He lifted my hand, kissing it once again. He smiled, his bright blue eyes meeting my emerald green ones. “Now, let’s eat before I jump you.” He winked playfully, pulling out one of the chairs for me.