Chapter 31

“Cage, Heath, and Gregory have been best friends ever since Cage gave some weed to Heath in the ninth grade. Gregory tried some of Cage's weed and fell instantly in love with it, so they started a team. Cage had been caught so many times selling weed to people by the cops, that any cop would know who he was. When the thing happened with Connor, the night before Cage had beaten a cop to death. That's why I took the blame for Connor. After Cage beat the cop to death, the cop's partner told him that if ever got in trouble again he would be dead. Cage, obviously, frightened stayed low but of course he had to sell his weed. Then, he got Heath and Gregory to do the selling, so they could get caught. The police are always watching the three.” Colt explains. 

“Why do you owe them money?” I question. 

Colt chuckles. “I'm getting there. Anyway, the night I came home from Washington, the police thought Cage was dealing me some drugs when he slipped an envelope in my pocket. Cage was taken to the police, they gave him two chooses. Get handcuffed and killed that night or get a million dollars and pay the court with that money. Of course Cage picked a million dollars. I gave Cage 4k to start out, it was partially my fault he got caught and I felt bad. Now, Cage is after me to give him more money. Because if he doesn't have this million by the end of next month, he's dead. Where Heath and Gregory come in is a totally different story.” 

“Lydia.” I whisper. 

Colt sighs but nods. “Lydia is Heath's sister and Gregory's ex-girlfriend. I had met her from, of course, Cage one night while they visited me in Washington. We hit it off and after some weeks of talking, we started dating. Gregory hated it because he was still in love with her. Anyway, it had been one night and all of us were goofing around, drunk. Cage was flipping out on me saying how I don't love him because he needs that million and just stupid crap. He ended up bringing out a knife, threatening to kill me if I don't give him the money. I was drunk and pissed off, never good for me. I had started beating up Cage, not knowing Lydia was behind me. Gregory brought out a gun, threatening to shoot me if I don't let go of Cage. I said go ahead, Gregory pulled the trigger, I ducked down,” Colt sighs and drops his head. “The bullet ended up going through Lydia. She instantly died. To Heath and Gregory, I'm just a dead man walking.” 

“It was Heath who beat you up the other day, for revenge.” 

Colt nods. :He wanted to show me how much pain she endured.” 

“Then Gregory shot you, trying to kill you.” 

“For what he did to Lydia.” We both whisper. 

As I let everything sink in, I was scared. Sure, I was scared before but now that I know everything? I'm horrified. Oh my God! I let these people in my house, near me, and my baby. These people know where I live! My whole body started shaking with fear. 

“Don't be scared, Infinity. You shouldn't be scared, I'm here to protect you. You're safe, I promise you.” I shake my head and start crying. 

I blame the tears on the hormones. They came out of nowhere! 

“Infinity!” I whip my head to the door of the hospital room to see River walking over to me. She jumps on my lap. “Didn't I tell you yesterday that ladies don't cry?” She sasses as she wipes my tears.