Chapter 29

“Hey sista!” Alida exclaims as I walk into the school. I give her a smile. “How's it going?” She questions when she loops our arms together. 

“Good and you?” 

Alida bites her lip. “So, I went to the party with Owen and Colt on Saturday.” I crease my eyebrows but nod at Alida for her to keep talking. “Colt and this other dude were arguing in another room, they got in a fight. Colt got beat up pretty bad.” My mouth opened wide, great just what I wanted to hear on a Monday morning. Alida un-loops her arm with mine and I stalk over to Colt's locker. I tap Colt's shoulder and he turns around, a gasp leaves my lips and I slap a hand over my mouth. Tears prickle my eyes as I scan over his swollen and bruised face. 

“Don't cry, Infinity. See I'm fine.” Colt says as he ducks his head down and gives me a smile. I shake my head and scan over his wounds. On his jaw line there was long and wide bruise that was the color of dark purple, his bottom lip had multiple deep cuts, there was a cut going through his eyebrow that was closed with what seemed like homemade stitches, his left eye was swollen shut and bruised underneath the eye, his nose looked more crooked than usual and there was a long cut running down his nose, and there was another set of homemade stitches running down his chin. I shake my head repeatedly and Colt wraps me in a tight hug, his arms wrapped protectively around my neck, and my arms wrapped around his waist. To anyone who walked by it would look like a simple and loving hug.

Who would do this to him? Was it Gregory? Did Colt not give Heath the money and Gregory went after Colt? Is this what Heath meant when he said Gregory will be involved? Fear struck me and I started crying, I knew I was overreacted, it was the damn hormones. 

Lately it seems like I've been overreacting about everything, like yesterday Kathy asked me to pick up my room and I told her no, she told me to clean once more, and I cried. Or Nathan asked me if he could visit mom with me, I flipped out on him and I don't even know why! Lately I've just been irritated easily and very emotional. 

Colt's chest rumbles against my swollen stomach, indicating he was chuckling. “Why are you crying Infinity?” He asks. 

“I don't know.” I mumble and sniffle. Colt brings a finger under my chin and lifts my head. 

Colt wipes my tears and gives me a reassuring smile. “Come on, we're going to miss first period.” I just nod and drop my hands to my side. Colt shuts his locker and wraps a lazy arm around my shoulder and we head into first period. 

I had a feeling today was going to be a slow and boring day. 

*

“Was it Heath?” I ask when I grab my homework out of backpack. Colt sighs and copies my movements. 

“Why does it matter?” 

I grab a pencil out of my backpack and hand Colt one. “Because, it matters.” 

Colt looks around the library then at me. “Just let it go Infinity, please.” I sigh and nod. 

“Hey people, so Owen and I are heading to see Iron Man 3 tonight then maybe getting pizza after, come?” Alida begs when she takes a seat next to me. I look at Colt, waiting for his reply but he just looks at me. “Movie starts at 6.”