Chapter 28

River and I tilt our heads as the worker shows us all the colors they have. 

“Oh my.” River mumbles, I nod my head in agreement. 

I sigh. “What color do you think the nursery should be?” I question. 

River slides off my hip and jogs over to all the colors. “This one!” She exclaims as she picks up the pint of paint. I grab it from her, the color a greenish, grayish.

“You think?” River nods. I shrug then grab a couple more of the same color. 

“Got the paintbrushes, did you two pick out a color?” We turn to Colt, the colors in our hands. He chuckles then grabs one from River. We then walk up to the check out line and pay the guy and head out to the parking lot. 

“Can I help paint?” River asks. 

Before Colt answers, I rush in.”ìOf course, you helped pick out the color, right?” River nods eagerly. I smile then Colt puts the paint in the bed of his truck and we hop in the truck. 

“Are we going straight home, Coltie?” I still giggle at the nickname River has for Colt, Colt shifts uncomfortable in his seat. 

“Please don't call me that in public, only at home.” 

“Awe why? It's so cute!” I gush as I pinch Colt's cheek. Colt grumbles naughty words under his breath. I smirk and twist in my seat so I'm looking at River. “We just have to get a couple more things for the nursery than we'll go home, is that all right with you?” 

River nods and squirms in her seat. “Are you staying the night?” she wonders, her big blue eyes looking at me with wonder. 

I shrug. “I don't know, why?” 

“Because I want to hang out with you.”

I smile. “I'll think about it, how about that?” River nods then I face forward again but quickly glance at Colt. He had one hand resting on the window, his other hand lazily rested on the steering wheel, his fingers tapping to beat of the song, his head was resting on his hand leaning against the window, his legs were spread apart and he sat up straight while his jaw would tighten and loosen then tighten again. 

“What?” Colt asks when he glances at me then back at the road. 

“She's looking at you the way Mommy looks at Daddy when he drives.” River answers. I blush and look away from Colt. I was just simply looking at him...Right? 

“Are you guys going to come in with me, or stay in the car?” Colt questions as he pulls into a parking space. 

“Coming!” River yells. I chuckle then unbuckle myself and jump out of Colt's truck, when we start walking to the store River grabs my hand and intertwines our fingers together, her small and fragile fingers. “So what do we need?”