7 Friends

Who would ever say a picnic is boring? This was definitely the most exciting one of my life.

Colin, Bradley, Amy and I sat in a damaged boat on a lake. We wouldn't do that for much longer - we would either make it back to the shore or sink.

The guys paddled as fast as possible. We made it. Luckily. We got back shortly before we would be forced to swim. We jumped out and took a breath.

"Bloody hell," Bradley mumbled. Amy started giggling. We stared at her for a second, then we did the same.

"I will never listen to Bradley again," Colin said and we cracked up completely. It took us some time to calm down, before we went back to the blankets and the food. Bradley said he needed something to eat after the shock. It was getting cold (even more as our feed were wet) and slowly dark, so we made a fire and some marshmallows in it.

"I think I've got another pullover in the car, I go and get it," Colin said.

"We've got some too, do we, June?" Amy said.

"I can bring them..."

"It's okay," Amy interrupted. "June will go with you."

"Why not," I mumbled and gave Colin a look. He smiled at me and we walked to the car. It was parked a little further away.

We walked in silence first, then he said, "It's been a nice day, you know."

"It was," I agreed.

"The idea with the picnic was great."

"You supported it and persuaded the others. They didn't like it at first."

"Well, maybe not. But I don't think they regret coming here now."

I shook my head. "Maybe we could do this again, some time."

"I would love to." Another smile and we reached the car. He took our stuff out. I noticed the stars about us. It was quite romantic.

"I think..." He gave me mine and Amy's pullover. I took it. We stood pretty close to each other.

"What do you think?" I hoped he couldn't hear how fast my heart was beating.

"I... forgot what I wanted to say..." He looked into my eyes, directly, intensely. Deeply. I stopped breathing.

For a moment nothing happened. Then we heard Amy and Bradley calling our names.

Instinctively we both took a step backwards.

"Maybe we should go back," I stuttered.

He nodded. "Yes. Of course."

We didn't say a word on our way to the others. I wondered what would have happened if they hadn't called us. Nothing probably. But I would never find out, now.

But, wait - that was not fair. I should be satisfied. I had such a nice day. It gave me the feeling of having friends, real friends - something I hadn't felt in a long while. Maybe it wasn't right to call two very famous, extremely good-looking actors my friends, but they weren't behaving like actors at the moment and we were having a lot of fun. Who could wish for more than that?

Amy started talking when we were still five meters away. She sounded excited. "June! Come here! Bradley and I just had a wonderful idea!"

"Last time you said that we nearly drowned."

She ignored my comment. "I told him that our living room is still empty, cause we're not living in London for long and the furniture we ordered hasn't arrived yet. Bradley was so nice to offer his help with decorating and maybe Colin could come too. With their experience they could surely give us some great advices. What do you think?"

Well, what did I think? I thought she was clever and presumptuous at the same time.

Colin gave Bradley a look, that said more than a thousand words. "You made that suggestion?"

Bradley shrugged. "It was actually Amy's idea. But I could never resist her if she looks at me like that." He pointed at Amy who gave us a charming as well as begging smile. Colin looked from Bradley to Amy and back to Bradley - he seemed irritated. The whole situation was funny, but I had to stop it.

"You don't have to do it. We're gonna be okay." I thought Amy was going to take it a little too far. We both knew their jobs had nothing to do with decorating. Okay, it was what they told us, but it was our fault. We started the game; we made them lie to us.

"No, no, it's fine. We'll do our best, right, Cole?"

"Er, yeah, sure. It's gonna be fun."

"Here you go." Bradley grinned. "Just call us when the furniture arrives and we can think of a time to meet."

That was the moment when I noticed where this was going. They had just agreed to meet us again. Oh my gosh!

After some time we realized that it was quite late and we decided to get back. I was kind of sad that the day was ending and I thought (or at least hoped) the others felt the same. We put our stuff in the car and got in. Amy sat next to Bradley this time and I wasn't sure how Colin would like that, but he joined me on the backseat without hesitation. After all this time of talking and laughing I felt like just sitting there for a while, enjoying the moment, without any words. Colin was quiet as well. However, Amy and Bradley were completely fond of the whole decorating thing and couldn't let go of it - they were already discussing the perfect place for the sofa. Their opinion on it was obviously quite different (although Bradley had seen neither the room nor the sofa yet), so they tried to convince each other, which couldn't work as they were both talking at the same time.

It wasn't possible for Colin and me to follow such a conversation, but it was also too loud to be ignored. We shared a look - he rolled his eyes and I sighed in resignation. Then he had an idea. He pulled out his earphones and gave one of them to me. I smiled and put it into my ear. He looked for a song on his ipod and started it.

"Marching Bands of Manhattan," I said after the first three seconds.

"Oooh, you're good." He sounded surprised.

"Well, it's from Plans, my favourite album."

"That's why I picked it."

That made me smile again and he smiled back and so we just sat there, listening to music and ignoring the annoying discussion in front of us.

When we arrived at our flat the guys helped us to carry the stuff in (which made Amy whisper "gentlemen" into my ear), before they got home. When it was time to part, Bradley hugged Amy and then me, which seemed completely natural to him, so Colin did the same, and although it was only a shy and short hug, I had the feeling that it was a second longer than the one he gave Amy. And even if it wasn't, it would still be enough to make me sing like a bird all night long, before I finally got to sleep.

And that is exactly what I did.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow. I started this book a month ago and it has already more than 250 reads! Okay, I admit I don't really know if that's good - in a statistical way - but it sounds good to me :)
And it always makes me happy to see that someone voted or left a comment!
So a huge thank you to all of you, you're lovely!
Please don't stop reading, as - from my perspective - the best parts are yet to come :)
Plans is my own favorite album by the way, if anyone is interested.

Niska