2 An Idea

It was Friday. I was about to leave the book shop and meet Amy, to have lunch with her. It was quite a nice day, but I wasn't sure if this was because the sun was shining or because it was almost weekend. In general, this year had been quite cold so far, but it was only the beginning of April and I was hoping that there were more days like this one coming.

As usual we were going to meet in front of our favourite restaurant and as usual Amy was coming late. I crossed the street to sit down on a bench in the park, where I was always waiting for her. I pulled out my notebook and a pen and wrote down some thoughts and ideas for stories, which were flying around in my head.

"June!" It was Amy calling me from the other side of the street. Surprisingly punctual, I had to say. I put my writing stuff back into my bag again - I would finish this later.

The restaurant was full of people today, but we were lucky enough to get a table - the last one. We ordered our meal, talking about this and that, till the food came. When we started eating, we discussed our favourite topic once again and I think by now you should know what this was.

"You know what all those fans do wrong?" I said thoughtfully chewing. "They behave in such an annoying way that no actor wants to talk to them. The start crying or they get hysterical - just nothing a normal person would do."

"Well, it reminds the actors of how famous and popular they are. Guess they like it."

"I think it's getting on their nerves, they just never show it. It's okay for them to give an autograph or maybe even a photo, but that's it. They would never like to talk more than necessary with someone who stares at them as if they were ... a dragon. All they think of is how they can get rid of them as quick as possible."

"Your opinion on actors is pretty bad, don't you think?"

I shook my head. "That's not how I mean it. Maybe they would like to talk with their fans, but that's not possible, cause they are not behaving like normal people. They just freak out and ask the same things over and over again."

"What's so bad about that?"

"Nothing, actually." I shrugged. "But if you met Bradley, would you like him to talk to you like a guy talks to girl or like an actor talks to a fan?"

She twisted some of her hair around her finger, which she always did when she thought about something seriously. Her hair was brown, just about the same colour as her eyes. I was blond with green eyes and lighter skin, so I guess we looked quite different.

"Okay, I can see your point there," she admitted. "But what would you do? If you're a fan, than you're a fan - you can't change that."

"I would ... well, I wouldn't tell them that I am a fan. I would act like I don't know them at all."

"But how would you get in a conversation with them?"

"Naturally. Like you get in a conversation with any stranger you meet at a party or somewhere." Not that I had a lot of experience in these things. But I had my imagination.

"So you mean you get to know their personality?"

"And they get to know yours."

Amy shook her head, smiling. "No one would think of that, June, you always had the weirdest ideas of all."

"Maybe." I laughed. We continued eating some moments in silence, till she suddenly let her knife and fork fall on the plate. Her hand grabbed my arm and held it in a way that made me think she was going to break it. It reminded me of school - she used to do that to me when she was nervous. But we wouldn't get any math tests back, would we?

"What's wrong?" I asked irritated. She couldn't answer me. She couldn't even breathe normally.

"Do you want me to call a doctor?"

She starred at something behind my head. "It's them. Bradley and Colin. Oh my god, they are here! They are really here!"

"That's very funny." I rolled my eyes, waiting for her to let go of my arm, so that I could eat up. She didn't. It made me suspicious. She couldn't say the truth ... right? I turned around slowly.

Oh. My. Gosh. She was saying the truth! They were here. Colin Morgan and Bradley James. Coming through the door of the restaurant we were just sitting in! I tried not to freak out. Amy looked like she would break down in a second.

"Stay calm, okay? You need to breathe. Don't stare at them like that. Don't show them, that you recognized them. They are coming over to our table in a minute."

"How on earth would you know that?"

"Well, the only empty seats left in this place are the ones next to us. They have to take them if they don't want to sit on the floor."

"Oh my god. This is going to be the best day of my life!"

I smiled involuntarily. She sounded as exciting as I felt. But I didn't forget about the conversation we had some time before.

"Amy, listen to me. We do what we just discussed. We act like we wouldn't know them. Okay?"

She shook her head. "But we won't get their autograph or a photo then."

"No, we get more than that. We get the chance to know them - as people not as actors. We won't make them run away quickly, cause we are two of a million annoying, hysterical fans."

She thought of it for a moment - her eyes still on Bradley and Colin -, then nodded. "You're right. That's what we do. Cause we don't wanna be two of a million. That's good. You're really smart."

"Finally you noticed." It was meant to be a joke, but we couldn't laugh. We were terribly exited.

Colin and Bradley were about to come over.