Chapter Eight

Hours passed in silence as they continued their journey south. Neither occupant of the car made any attempt to start a conversation, which was fine with Nikki. She was too preoccupied with her frustrating, circling thoughts to entertain any notion of chitchat.

When she had stared into the vacant expression of the doppelgänger, her world had fissured. The overwhelming grief that had suffocated her was unparalleled and that terrified her.

She tried her best to dissect her feelings and analyse them, but it was futile. How could she begin to work out her emotions when she didn't even know what it was she felt?

She knew she needed Josh - the desire to keep him close was stifling - but what she couldn't understand, was why. She didn't particularly want him as a lover, although she had conceded that the idea of being with him was more than a little appealing.

She felt safe with him, but it wasn't his protection she longed for. It was deeper than that. It was like they were polar opposites of a magnet being drawn together, and the more she fought, the quicker they joined.

Eventually, she gave up trying to figure it out. Her head ached and despite not feeling hungry, her body was growing weak.

"Josh we've been driving for hours, are you ever going tell me where we're heading?"

Josh answered calmly. "No."

"Why not?"

She knew the answer and she knew she sounded petulant but she needed a distraction and goading Josh seemed as good as any.

He remained focused on the road, the lights on the dash illuminating the small crease on his forehead.

"If you know, they could find out."

"This is ridiculous."

Josh licked his lips and Nikki noted his pained expression. She suddenly felt hopeful; maybe he was going to fill in some of the blanks after all.

She was wrong. Josh leaned forward and turned the radio back on. Music filled the car killing their brief exchange.

Groaning to herself, Nikki sank into the comfortable seat and glowered out of the passenger window. She was tired. Tired of not knowing, tired of confusion and tired of trying to figure everything out.

Outside, the world flew past at an alarming speed. They were in the heart of the countryside but Nikki had no idea where. She berated herself for not paying attention to the road signs as they'd hurtled past them.

Not a single street or house light could be seen; the vista of fields bursting with crops only visible by the diffused light of the moon which had dipped behind a gathering of wispy clouds.

As the car rocked gently, Nikki felt her eyelids droop.

Giving in, she closed her eyes and listened to the music - it was a song she knew. She made a conscious effort to concentrate on the rhythmic drums and haunting lyrics but not even the vivid imagery of the singer's heartache could stop her from slipping into a troubled sleep ...

Her eyes opened to a gloomy underground bunker lined with hundreds of gurneys.

Wide circular metal shades hung over each of the many light bulbs dangling over the long aisle of beds. On each trolley a thin white plastic sheet covered an unmoving body.

Nikki looked up and down the long row of corpses and instinctively knew she was not alone. She was dreaming again and the beast that had haunted her last nightmare was somewhere close by, waiting for the chance to pounce.

She shook her head, attempting to wake up. It didn't work. Trying a new tactic she bit her lip hard, praying that the pain would wake her but still she remained stuck in her nightmare.