Chapter Four

The slight moon glinted off the water in the bay behind the children's park. The picturesque beach, unspoiled in the weak silvery glow, looked very welcoming to Nikki who had a sudden urge to feel the grainy sand beneath her feet. 

She had always loved the beach; it was a calming place. The sound of the ocean as the waves lapped gently against the shoreline was hypnotic and comforting. 

The silent breeze carried the scent of the tangy salt air to Nikki who breathed it in greedily. 

She had woken as the car had pulled into the vacant car park, her body aching from the uncomfortable position she'd slept in. They weren't far from her home; at most they were an hours drive east. She relaxed, grateful that she knew the area, the familiarity of her surroundings helping to ease her troubled mind. 

"I think," she whispered, "I believe you now." 

Deep in Josh's chest a low chuckle rumbled. "Yeah," he replied, dryly. "I truly am sorry though. I knew," he paused, tripping over the word he was trying to avoid, "it was near. I was arrogant to let it get so close." 

Nikki shook her head, "You tried to warn me, I--" 

"You reacted like any normal person would. I should have been more careful, I will be more careful from now on. Speaking of which, here, take this." He grabbed something from his pocket. 

Nikki recognised the silver pendent immediately; it was the silver bird she'd been toying with earlier. 

"Um," she cocked her head and frowned in confusion. "Thanks but..." 

"It's not a gift, it's a talisman. Don't take it off. Ever," he instructed as she played with the chain. 

"A talisman?" 

She earned herself an annoyed 'tsk' as she questioned him. He glared, speaking without patience. 

"Yes a talisman, it will help keep you safe so do as you're told and put it on!" 

Nikki baulked under his curt tone, afraid of the dangerous glint in Josh's eye as he stared her down. 

"Okay," she whispered, slipping the jewellery over her head, but still not understanding why. 

Josh grit his teeth, frustration pouring from him as she reacted to his glare. The colour drained from her cheeks as she dropped her eyes and put the necklace on. He could almost taste her fear. 

"Damn it, Nikki," he grumbled, angry with himself. 

She jumped, startled by his sudden outburst. 

Mentally, Josh chastised himself; he wasn't usually so brusque with his charges, but she got under his skin. 

"Sorry," he muttered. "I'm not mad at you, I'm mad with myself. I shouldn't be projecting my anger towards you ... Sorry." Curling his arms around the steering wheel and gripping his wrists tightly, Josh bit his bottom lip. "I was stupid." 

Nikki broke free from his scrutiny and gazed wistfully at the view ahead of her. The sea was calm and the blackness of the briny liquid called to her with each break against the shore. 

Desperate to put some distance between them, Nikki climbed out of the vehicle. She moved, captivated by the sea. 

Bypassing Josh, who had lowered his chin into his hands, she headed towards the inky water. She reached the playground and kicked off her old scruffy trainers, holding on to the swing frame to steady herself as she pulled off each sock. With her hands now redundant she let them fall to her sides, her feet carrying her forward, sank into the cool dry sand. Walking slowly, Nikki allowed the hushing sound of the water to smother her senses.