Chapter Seventeen

"What are you doing? Lie down!" Nikki grumbled, as Josh attempted to lift his head from her lap and sit up.With a lopsided smile he lay back down and made a show of stretching out on the back seat of his car. 

"I'm fine now, see? A few cuts and bruises but that's all." He opened his jacket. 

"Don't be ridiculous, you can't have healed that qui--"Her mouth froze as Josh moved the fabric to one side to reveal his torso. He was right. A few red lines and purple blotches were all that remained decorating his skin.Tentatively Nikki reached out, skimming her fingers over his chest. It was perfectly smooth. She followed the contours of his muscles, her hands searching for any trace of the wounds but all she felt was his warm abrasion free flesh. 

Hey eyes drifted to his and as they connected her heart lurched.With his gaze fixed on hers, Josh reached up and wrapped his fingers around her wrist, guiding her warm palm over his stomach. Nikki breathed deeply as the silkiness of his skin overwhelmed her senses. 

"No scars."The gruffness of his voice jolted Nikki from her revere and she pulled back. Her breathing had quickened, the sight of his naked chest had stirred inappropriate thoughts, colouring her cheeks. She turned away and swallowed; her lap, where Josh laid, burned under his touch. 

Clenching her jaw, she fought the desire to lean forward and kiss him but try as she might, she couldn't ignore the urge. Her body tingled as she remembered the way it had felt to be pressed against him with her hands in his hair and his lips on hers ... 

The heat from his hand, as it hovered over hers, scorched her flesh, his fingers lightly brushing her skin as if he was about to grasp her but he didn't. Instead he sat up. Shaking her head, Nikki wrestled to rid herself of the vivid fantasy running through her mind. 

"You heal fast."The words tumbled from her mouth in an attempt to disguise her awkwardness. 

"Yeah ... " 

Blowing out a breath, Nikki willed herself to take control. The day had been far too complicated already and she knew it was unwise to add anything more to the mix. 

The headlights of the car illuminated the road ahead and she stared out whilst attempting to clear her head.They had only been on the road for an hour or so and already Josh was back to full strength. She rubbed her fingers over the scratches on her palms, concentrating on their texture, and wishing it were that easy for her. 

The drying wounds on her hands were beginning to itch a little and although not painful it was beginning to irritate her. 

Josh cleared his throat and plastered a grin on his face."I'm all good now, apart from needing a shower and a change of clothes. You however, should get some sleep." 

Nikki sighed. If only she could. She had tried to close her eyes and rest but each time a new question invaded her mind and refused to be brushed aside. She fidgeted, attempting to make herself more comfortable but failing miserably. Catching her ribs against the seat belt, she winced with pain. 

"So the dream thingies and the Hounds are on the same side?" 

In the front seat, Sam sighed loudly. "We've been over this already. Yes." 

"Yes and you've had centuries to wrap your damn head around it all, where as I've had a couple of fucking hours!" 

Pain, exhaustion and frustration got the better of her. "So if they're on the same side, what about this other world, are they going to start attacking me?" 

Josh liked his lips and scowled. "No, now how about--" 

"But why not?" 

"Nikki, it's almost ten and you've had one hell of a day, aren't you tired?" Josh voice, laced with concern, mirrored his gaze as he looked her up and down. Glancing at her sore hand he frowned, obviously troubled by her injuries.