Chapter Twenty-Nine

"So what now?" Nikki paced the length of the suite, huffing and puffing, impatiently kicking at the floor with her feet. It had been hours since Josh walked out and during that time she'd tried sleeping but she just couldn't settle. She'd resorted to emptying the alcohol from the small fridge and petulantly downing each bottle. Now, as the clock rounded two-thirty AM, Nikki found herself restless and more than a little drunk. Sam peered at her from his spot on the couch and shrugged, an amused smile aimed at her irritated, stalking figure. He was about to answer when the door opened and Josh crept through. He staggered to a stop when he realised he had company.

"You took your time." Sam snapped as a hot flush stole up Josh's shocked face.

"I thought you'd be asleep."

"Fat chance." Nikki grumbled, turning her back to him.

"She's in a drunken sulk because I refused to let her wander the streets in search of some local demons to practice on." Sam said flatly, returning his gaze to the television.

"What the hell, Nikki? " Josh muttered.

"What?" She glared at Josh. "I'm going stir crazy in here and you fucked off, what the hell did you expect? A glass of milk and bedtime story was hardly going to cut it."

"I already explained to her that until we know more about what Unus meant, she's going nowhere." Sam interjected, smiling sympathetically at Nikki.

"Yeah, and like I already pointed out, you're not my Guardian."

"No. No I'm not." Sam stared darkly at Josh.

Nikki blew out a breath and threw her body down next to Sam. Lazily he lifted his arm over the back of the sofa as she lay her head in his lap.

"This is total bull-" Nikki began.

"Yes, I know, you've told me a dozen times already. And yes, I know it's frustrating and no I'm not getting you any more alcohol."

"Damn you Samuel!" She pouted.

Josh cocked his head as she used Sam's full name. He watched their playful exchange through narrowed eyes but stifled the snide comment threatening to break free. Nikki rolled on to her stomach, almost dropping herself to the floor but Sam's quick reflexes steadied her. He dragged her hips back to the cushions and smothered his laugh.

"Come on Sam, just a little drink. Just one more. Please."

Sam chuckled. "Baby, I love it when you beg--"

"Sam!" Josh barked as his jealousy flared. He glared at the man draped on the couch but Sam didn't acknowledge him. Grinding his teeth, Josh waited for his anger to calm before speaking.

"Fine, Nikki," he sighed, "let's go for a walk."

Nikki beamed at him with surprise as she struggled to stand.

"Really? Is that such a good idea?" Sam asked, twisting his torso around.

Josh shrugged and shook his head, "No, probably not but she needs to sober up."

"I am not drunk!" Nikki protested, swaying towards the door and throwing them both a look of disdain.

Sam grinned back at her. "No, sugar, you're just having a one person party." He rolled his eyes. "You want me to come along?"

"Yeah!" Nikki exclaimed happily as Josh replied with a resounding "No!"

Shoving Nikki through the door, Josh slammed it shut.

"Well that was rude," she commented, making her way to the lift.

"What's going on with you and him?"

"What's going on with you and Dee?" she retorted, her inhibitions dulled by the liquor in her system. Nikki was glad to see him squirm slightly.