Chapter Twenty-One

Alone in her bedroom time passed unnoticed until Nikki had cried herself dry. She had sobbed for her old life, her new life and everything in between. Having let all her pent up emotions escape she was finally spent and calmer.

Pushing up from the fetal position, she rubbed her bleary eyes and winced as the line from her drip tangled with her dirty hair. Taking a steadying breath, Nikki peeled back the tape holding the line in place and gently slid the cannula from her flesh.

As a bubble of blood oozed from the puncture wound. Nikki observed it with morose fascination. She didn't know why, but she expected it to look different, like it should somehow be tainted by the hatred and deceit that it carried around her body.

Before the trickle of crimson reached the bed covers and spoiled them, Nikki grabbed a handful of tissues from the container on the bedside table and held them to the small lesion. The last thing she wanted to do was to spoil the sheets, that would mean calling the woman who epitomised Nikki's jealousy and she wasn't ready to face her yet.

Reliving the events of the previous night, a fresh wave of guilt crashed over her. She really had despised Josh. She had hated him with every ounce of resentment she had but she didn't know why. Her face screwed up in confusion. It wasn't just jealousy, something deeper had taken hold and controlled her words and actions. She shivered as a terrifying thought crossed her mind. Was it possible that the hatred had come from somewhere else? After the strange occurrence at the house was it possible?

She pushed the idea from her mind fearful of the answers she might stumble upon. No, she was letting her imagination take over it was simply exhaustion that had caused it all.

The sudden desire to be clean engulfed her. She needed rid of the memory and the best way she could think to achieve this would be to shower away the physical remnants. Crossing to the door she listened hard, trying to figure out if it was safe for her to venture to the bathroom. It wasn't only Dee she was anxious to avoid. After her talk with Josh, Sam hadn't shown up with the food he'd promised, she assumed he must have been warned to give her some space. Whatever had happened she didn't care, she was happiest in her own company for the time being and was glad they were respecting that.

Unable to hear anything except the heavy thump of her own heartbeat she turned the knob and opened the door. Behind the wooden barrier the room was swathed in darkness. Cracking open her door further she searched through the gloom for either of her companions but not even the glow from her bedroom could puncture the shadows of the unfamiliar space.

Deciding to rush it, she tiptoed to the bathroom, praying that Sam and Josh were in the other bedroom and not hidden by the dark. She moved quickly, keeping her eyes forward, focusing on her destination. As she reached the bathroom she exhaled the breath that had carried her from her room and slipped inside. Flipping the light switch she locked the door and relaxed, safe in the knowledge that she wouldn't be disturbed.

Nikki took her time showering. She let the hot water run over her aching body and wash the blood and grime from her pale skin. Her hair had taken some washing and she'd emptied the small bottle of shampoo but now that it was clean her mood had lightened considerably. She had scrubbed at her skin until it was almost painful, but in a way it had been purifying, ridding her of all the tension and aggression she'd been carrying. Now, stood in front of the mirror with a ridiculously large towel wrapped around her frame she felt clean. Not just physically but emotionally too. That was until it was time to leave her sanctuary and venture back out in to the real world. With a heavy sigh, Nikki grasped the lock and opened the door. Outside the room was still encased in darkness.

"He's out, sugar." Nikki jumped and glared at the balcony where Sam stood silhouetted by the streetlights. "Are you okay?"

"I would be if people stopped asking me that," she grumbled.