Chapter Twenty-Two

Nikki was lost in conversation when the waiter appeared with her drink. Closing her fingers around the crystal, she swirled the liquid in the glass and brought it to her mouth. The delicious meal she'd eaten sat heavily on her stomach so she stretched out her legs under the table. Trying to get comfortable, her foot caught Sam's, drawing a low chuckle from him.

"Playing footsie now?"

The sip of drink she'd just swallowed caught in her throat and she spluttered, her eyes creasing with the smile that took over her face.

"You just can't help yourself can you?"

"It helps pass the time."

Nikki watched her companion thoughtfully. "Do you get lonely?" The alcohol she'd had with dinner had given her courage to question Sam and she'd been delighted when he'd answered everything.

"Sometimes."

She brought her hand to her face and rested her chin on her palm. She'd been fascinated to learn about his past; his childhood, growing up in a completely different time period, had been as different to hers as could be but still, they had drawn similarities.

"So why don't you have a friend like Dee?" she probed, enjoying another slug of the expensive drink.

Sadness clouded his eyes as he plastered a smile on his face and shrugged. "I guess I'm just too much for one person."

Releasing her glass, Nikki slid her hand across the table and covered his. "You've been hurt." Their eyes locked and he couldn't deny her observation. "Tell me about her."

He moved, placing both of his hands around hers before bringing them to his lips. "Not tonight. Tonight I'm enjoying the company of a beautiful, witty and amusing young lady and I'd like it to stay that way."

Nikki smiled. Over the past few hours she had made a real connection with Sam and was feeling completely at ease around him. She found that beneath his bravado he was very sweet, caring and perceptive.

"Okay, another night."

"So we've covered my past, what next? I'm sure you've a million questions you want answering."

Nikki leaned back in her chair and rubbed her neck, the chain Josh had thrust upon her caught against her fingertips. The chain! She remembered the moment he'd asked her to wear it. What was it had called it, a talisman?

"Why do I have to wear this? Josh told me it would help him keep me safe, but how? It's a piece of jewellery for God's sake."

Sam's eyes sparked. "I think my answer might unravel a lot of your confusion," he murmured quietly, leaving Nikki no choice but to lean in to hear him. "It is made from a piece of Josh's soul on the night he died and is given to each of his charges to solidify the bond between you both."

Nikki scoffed and rolled her eyes. "You said you'd answer my questions. At no point did I agree to you mocking me."

Sam smiled. "It acts as a type of psychic link to you," he continued as if she hadn't spoken, "and it accelerates the natural attachment process, sometimes to weeks or months but with you--"

"Oh fine, be like that." She pouted, aggravated by his joke.

Over Sam's shoulder she was aware of a figure approaching them but it wasn't until the person stopped at their table she noticed who it was. Josh materialised wearing a deep scowl, "I've been looking for you," he grunted.

Nikki didn't care for his tone but Sam remained passive. "You knew we were eating," he replied calmly.

"Yes but I didn't realise you were bringing her to the restaurant, I thought you'd be keeping your head down."