Chapter Twenty-Four

The water drizzled over Nikki's smooth skin and she watched as the droplets tracked down her body. They converged at her elbow and fell like rain in to the tray at her feet. Motionless she let the liquid pour over her as she thought through the latest events. Things were slowly coming together, she could sense it, and yet she was no closer to uncovering the truth the shape shifter had spoken of. Josh had secrets, but then again, so did she. Josh had lied, about what she didn't know, but how could she call him on it when she had lied too? Dee had been quick to defend her when Josh and Sam had pressed for answers, did that mean she knew something as well? Who could she trust? Who was on her side? She had thought Sam was her ally but their outing to the restaurant had obviously been a rouse to keep her busy whilst Josh caught a demon. Inhaling the sweet smell of honey she breathed deep, washing her arms with the body scrub the hotel had provided. Something had changed. Something inside her felt ... Secure.

Yes, she had changed; she was calmer and stronger. She knew that if she was patient enough the last few pieces of the puzzle would slot in to place giving her the understanding she craved.
Closing her eyes she concentrated on the heat from the shower - she had purposefully turned it up as high as she could stand to help her experiment. After a few moments she looked at her shaking hands. A light blue glow hovered just above her skin, coating her like a glove. Shutting off the water, Nikki walked naked to the mirror above the sink. Carefully she held her hands out in front of her and slowly turned them, palms up. As she focused harder, the blue haze grew darker in colour. Allowing herself a tiny triumphant smile she raised her eyes to her reflection and gasped. The dull grey of her iris had darkened and swirled like a storm cloud.

"What the ... ?"

As she continued to stare the heat in her body died and her iris's gradually merged back to their usual colour. Nikki shivered.

Yes, she had changed.

* * *

After a dressing quickly, Josh had insisted on taking Nikki away from the others to speak with her privately. He had led her from the hotel to a quiet bar a couple of streets down. They sat at opposite sides of a secluded booth at the back of the room, each of them cradling a strong drink, mirroring each other.

"Tell me what it said to you." Josh mumbled, staring into the liquid in his glass.

Come with me... I'll show you the truth behind these eyes. The secrets you should know; the ones he can't tell you! Come with me. Be with me. Join with us. The words echoed in Nikki's mind.

"It told me you had secrets."

He swirled the contents of his glass before slugging some, keeping his eyes cast downwards.
Nikki waited patiently, giving him time to gather his thoughts. As the seconds turned into minutes she wondered if he was ever going to speak or look at her again. Eventually she decided to take charge.

"Let's start at the beginning," she suggested. "When we first met, how did you know where to find me?"

He frowned into the reflection of his whisky. "I tracked you down. Not exactly difficult in this day and age, and once I found you I just followed you."

"And the parcel delivery. How did you know it was dangerous?"

He sighed. "The men who shot me weren't human. It was a trap; they'd found you and decided to have you go to them instead of chasing you. They weren't exactly pleased when I showed up instead."

Nikki sipped her drink as she listened and judged his words. He seemed genuine enough in his monotone explanation.

"I see."