Chapter Forty-Five

"Eat, please. Eat and I will explain." The aging man gestured to the mountain of food but remained on his knees.

"Stand up." Nikki whispered, dismayed by his actions.

Instantly Ezekius and David stood, their gazes glued to her.

"My queen, you must eat." David bowed his head.

Nikki's thoughts hurtled a mile a minute. exactly what were they trying to tell her? Was she a demon? Did she really belong in this world? Did Josh have it wrong? Was she even a Power at all?

Ezekius bowed before walking towards her. As he reached her, he held his hand out and dipped his head. Nikki sighed and touched her fingers to his, allowing him to flood her mind with more images. One by one the pictures flowed. Her head pounded painfully and she winced. As he showed her his thoughts, he read hers.

Suddenly her mind blanked. She closed her eyes and inhaled, the silence behind her lids a blissful relief from the agony she had just experienced.

"You're doing this?" She spoke aloud, directing her statement at Ezekius.

In response he took her hand in his and caressed her palm soothingly with his thumb. As she allowed her mind to rest she became acutely aware of her body. It ached and throbbed excruciatingly. She sighed in recognition. David was right; she was starving.

Wearily Nikki opened her eyes, taken aback as Ezekius's partner bowed, offering a plate ladened with delicious food. Gratefully she took it and began to eat.

"If you are too tired--"

"No. I want explanations." She didn't care that she spoke with her mouth full. She was so close to finding out the terrifying truth she would let nothing get in her way.

"As you wish." David agreed, perching on the sofa. "Many years ago there was a battle between a God and a demon. The demon wanted to ruin this world whilst our God wanted to live in harmony with the inhabitants here. The demon wanted to wipe out the face of the planet and claim it for himself and his legion of followers but Unus wouldn't allow it. They fought and eventually their fight became a battle involving two opposing dimensions."

Nikki nodded. "Yes, I know this story." She thought back to the hotel room, after her encounter with Unus, when Sam had told her the tale of Unus and Malus Deamn.

"Hmm. I don't doubt you've been told a version." David pursed his lips in distaste. "During their fight the two suffered great affliction." He turned to stare at her. "As I'm sure you are now aware, Unus is in actual fact four different individuals. Their collective conscious and their combined abilities are what make the essence of Unus. The Prophets of Latébris are our kings, they are Unus." He looked meaningfully at her and smiled before continuing.

"During their battle, Unus lost a member of the Prophets. He fell defending your world. Since that tragic day Unus has had to endure a half existence, unable to fully function without the Fourth Prophet. We have spent a very long time searching for the reincarnate of the Lost Prophet, searching and waiting. Eventually we took matters in to our own hands and now our search is over. We found you."

Oh fuck.

Nikki swallowed her mouthful, the food traveling down her throat and sitting heavily on her trembling stomach.

Her brain froze. We found you.

"My queen, you are the Lost Prophet of Latébris. You are Unus. It is in your blood. Your gift combined with that of the three kings will finally enable you to rid this world of Malus Deamn.

"Excuse me?"

David grinned at her. "Such an honor," he murmured. "Thank you for allowing me to pass on this message. It is truly the greatest privilege of my life. My whole existence has been for this moment. We have watched over you, guarded you since birth, ensured your safety."