Chapter Forty-Nine

In the harsh light of Latébris' three suns Nikki allowed the hot tears to roll down her red cheeks as her heart splintered. She wanted to go back, to tell Josh that they shouldn't leave it like this, to feel his lips against hers just one last time but she knew that was impossible.

Ezekius wrapped his uncomfortably rigid arms around her and allowed Nikki to pour out her emotions as he held her lightly to his robed chest. She cried hard, mourning the loss of the man who had begun to claim her heart, knowing that her time with him was over. She was destined to walk a different path from him and nothing she could do would change that. She had to let go of Josh.

Eventually her tears ran dry and she pulled back and nodded. It was time to start her training, whatever that meant.

Running his gaze warily over Nikki, Ezekius let her go and stepped back before leading her across the barren rocks. With her shoulders slumped and a heavy heart she forced herself forward, dragging her fatigued legs slowly as her aching, worn body sagged weakly. She was wrung out, emotionally, mentally and physically.

Nikki thought of Josh, her heart aching as she remembered his face, warped with the pain she'd inflicted 

Only moments in to their journey and with her mind preoccupied she lost her footing and stumbled in to Ezekius' open arms, allowing him to scoop her up and saving her from a painful impact with the jagged rocks. It was growing colder by the second and her light tee shirt and jogging bottoms were doing nothing to maintain her core temperature. She shivered once before the air surrounding her trembled and she found herself back near Sam's house.

She blinked as the dark sky shimmered to life, changing from black and desolate to a breathtaking array of oranges, reds, blues and purples. The sun was setting over the trees and the view before her a majestic triumph of nature. The lake reflected the colours in the sky lifting her broken spirits enough to distract her from her depression.

"Why am I back here?"

A brush of his hand told Nikki that in her weakened state she would find it hard to travel through Latébris without extra protection. Ezekius planned on taking some clothes for her to keep her warm. He wanted to her wait by the lake as he slipped back in to the house and found some suitable clothing.

"Nikki? Nikki? Wait! Please!"

Nikki turned in surprise as Sam ran down the shoreline behind her.

She felt Ezekius tense around her as he prepared to shift dimensions.

"Give me two minutes?"

After a brief pause he nodded and set her lightly on her feet. Respecting her request he took a few steps back, carefully giving her enough space without letting her out of arms reach.

"Nikki what's going on? Are you alright? What's with you and the demon?" Sam scowled as she moved faintly closer to Ezekius. "Hell you're acting as if he's your Guardian instead of Josh." Sam's voice held no animosity towards her, but he obviously didn't know the full story yet.

"Didn't Josh tell you?" she asked, swaying a little as the last of her strength drained out of her sore muscles.

"He hasn't said anything since you left, he's locked himself in your room. Just what is going on?"

"I'm a demon, Sam. You guys got it wrong, I'm not a Power at all, I'm the Fourth Prophet of Latébris." She paused to see if her words meant anything to him.

He gasped. "You're what? How? Nikki it's not true, whatever you've been told--"

"No Sam, it's all true. You've seen what happens when I join with the others; you witnessed me as Unus. It's all true."