Chapter Three

Nikki's hands searched for the door handle as her steel grey eyes remained fixed on the dark haired man sitting across from her. 

"It's not what you think." Josh assured stretching his arm over to Nikki. 

She slammed her body back, desperately trying to avoid his touch as she grasped at the plastic digging in to her spine. Josh shook his head and lowered his extended limb. 

With a click, Nikki's door swung open, dropping her to the floor. She scrambled to her feet and dashed towards the building in front of her. 

When she'd first laid eyes on the light coloured concrete structure, it had been love at first sight. From the single lane, that wound half a mile down from the main street, to the undisturbed river view, it was perfection. Set away from any other building on a strip of overgrown wasteland it was her oasis, away from the busy, over populated city. She didn't even mind the accompanying wildlife that came with her messy jungle like garden. She cherished her quiet, rural retreat. 

She fled to the narrow staircase that led up to the front door, crossing the double fronted garage to leap the stairs two at a time. Desperation made her clumsy as she stumbled and tripped her way up, falling to the floor outside her front door. Cursing loudly at her quivering limbs that were too dumbstruck to do what she needed, Nikki flung herself at the door and grasped the door handle tightly. 

"No!" Her lips formed the word silently. 

Her stomach dropped as her mistake dawned. She turned on shaking legs, not wanting to confirm what she already knew. Her stomach constricted rhythmically as she fought back the urge to vomit. 

Josh sat perched against the grille of her van, his legs crossed at the ankles and his arms folded over his chest. His enchanting eyes watched her as she swept her gaze over him, finally settling on the keys dangling from his long fingers. Her shoulders fell and her head hung low. Her house keys were on a chain with the van keys, something she'd forgotten in her panic. 

"I'm not here to hurt you." His calm voice called. 

"Prove it. Throw me my keys." 

"I can't do that, the second you get them you'll lock me out and call the police." 

"I won't, I promise, just let me have my keys and then we can talk." 

A throaty chuckle escaped his lips that pulled up into a smile. "You willing to sign a contract to that effect?" 

Nikki jiggled the door handle in a futile attempt to remove the barrier before repeating her earlier curse. 

"What can I do to prove to you that I'm not going to hurt you? Haven't I already had ample opportunity?" Josh reasoned. 

"Holding my keys hostage doesn't exactly build trust." 

Again Josh laughed. "No, I guess not." He tilted his head and sucked his bottom lip as he contemplated his next move. "What if I exchange your keys for your mobile phone?" He offered. 

Nikki scowled, her phone had died hours ago, as she'd sat playing a game and eating her lunch, it was useless to her now. "How can I be sure you'll give me the keys? What's to stop you taking my phone and keeping the keys?" 

Josh sighed, all amusement vanishing from his weary tone. "Nothing but again I reiterate, if I'd wanted to hurt you I would have done so already." 

From her vantage point above him, Nikki saw his jaw clench and eyebrows knit together. He was becoming impatient. 

"Okay, you've got a deal." She glanced at the stairs then back at Josh. "Leave the keys on the third step and then walk to the other side of the garage doors, when you get there I'll throw you my phone." She thrust her chin left to indicate where she wanted him.