Chapter Fifty-Five

Josh blinked against the blinding light that hurt his eyes.

"What the?"

He struggled to sit up, trying his best to command his heavy, unresponsive limbs to work.

Do not struggle, you are perfectly safe.

A voice filled his mind and yet no one spoke. He exhaled, the fight leaving his body in a whoosh of defeat. If he was back there then it could mean only one thing. He felt his heart constrict at the thought.

The battle is about to start, you must end it. Nikki can still be saved but you must act quickly. She cannot be allowed to pursue this fight.

Josh snapped his attention back to the voice.

"She's not dead? I'm not back here because she's dead?"

No. She is alive and she needs you to save her.

"How? I've tried, God knows I've tried and yet—"

She is not who she thinks she is. They are manipulating her. This is not the first time. Others have been used but non survived this far. They will destroy her as soon as they have what they need. As soon as she has fought their battle, they will end her. She will join with them and the Nikki you know will die.

"I don't understand."

You must go now, save her. Tell her what you have learned. She is not the first and if she fails they will try again. She is as expendable to them as the others. Go now and save her.