Chapter Fifty-Four

Nikki stood on her platform above the raging war casting her excited eyes over the carnage. Her face glowed in the early morning sun as blood pumped through her eager body, her cheeks flushing with anticipation.

Demons lay slaughtered as others tore, snapped and ripped at one another. So far it had been an equal fight with heavy casualties for both Mortemb and Latébris but Nikki knew soon enough she would lay her enemies down leaving her and her fellow Prophets free to rise up and claim their rightful, majestic places.

All her life she had followed the rules, a sheep rather than a leader, towing the line but where had it ever gotten her? She hadn't left behind a life of riches and love, adoration or even fulfillment. She had spent her time in a machine designed to keep her from achieving. She paid her taxes, stayed within the law, did as was told and what did she have to show for it? Even the clothes she wore had been given to her by her new world.

She knew her previous life had been far from perfect but she was only just beginning to understand by how much she had fallen short. She was a Goddess living as a pauper and it wasn't right. As she thought back to all who had wronged her, the years of oppression and submission ignited the fury running through her twitching veins.

In a flare so explosive it shook the entire town, she released her flame, allowing it up and out of her body to surround her like a dancing, blue hypnotic coat of armor.

Rubble fell from the crumbling buildings as the force of her power reverberated through the decimated town like the aftershocks of an earthquake, causing the most unstable of structures to finally disintegrate. She nodded approvingly, they should fall at her feet, it was how things were supposed to be.

It is time.

We are ready.

She is ready.

The three voices of her peers whispered with glee.

"Yes I am ready, prepare the trumpets and sound the victory through the skies of every world. Our adversary is about to die." Nikki stepped out of the window with her arms held gently to her sides. She didn't need her eyes to know that her landing would be both safe and guaranteed.

With a crack as loud as thunder the balls of her feet landed squarely on the demolished pavement as she bent her knees and bowed her head. From her subdued knelt position she felt all eyes turn to her as the warriors took a deep breath. All fighting ceased and a silence so deafening it was almost painful descended over the pitiable settlement.

Tilting her head she showed her blissful smile to her opponents. "I offer you a quick death. Fall to your knees and I will be merciful. Stand against me and I will show you the full extent of my malice."

Although softly spoken her words once again carried through the depths of bodies and buildings conveying her message to the far ends of the feuding square. In answer a large group of demons ran towards her but before they posed any form of threat they were taken down by her legion.

Nikki laughed and rose to her full height as the raging battle continued, even more bloody and violent than before. Her enemies were desperately trying to get to her. The chance to take down the leader of their opposition too tempting to ignore but each new wave of demons were slaughtered easily by the army of Latébris.

"Really? You think you're a match for me?" Nikki frowned as her kinsmen took down hundreds of their opponents.

As she mused to herself the rubble at her feat began to quiver. With a low rumble the statue in the centre of the bloodshed toppled and landed with an earsplitting crash, sending thousands of shards in to the swarming demons.