Chapter 25: I promise

Aragorn explains to Theoden about the ten thousand Orc army heading this way. I start to shake suddenly feeling scared. We head outside walking down the stone steps, I follow after Legolas who follows Aragorn. "I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms to be ready for battle by nightfall" Theoden orders to Gamling as he walks off leaving us to continue outside the main gate. "We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the wall or set foot inside the Hornburg" he exclaims his plan looking outwards. Gimli and I are leaning back against the wall bored "this is no rabble of mindless orcs" he grumbles, the king turns towards him surprised that the dwarf spoke.
"These are uruk-hai. Their armour is thick and their shields broad" he continues as Theoden approaches him standing tall looking down. "I have fought many wars, Master dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep" the king spits out and walks back inside with Legolas, Braelyn and Aragorn following. I place my hand on Gimli's shoulder in comfort "grumpy king" I whispered to him making him laugh as we hurry along behind the rest.

Battle preparations have begun, the elderly, woman and children are being taken to the caves. We make our way through the mass of people "we'll place the reserves along the wall. They can support the archers from above the gate" Aragorn explains.
"Aragorn, you must rest. You're no use to us half alive" Legolas tells him but Aragorn ignores him, "he's right, why don't you nap before the battle starts" Braelyn states but Aragorn ignores her as well. Eowyn suddenly comes running over speaking to Aragorn.

Time was slipping away, tearful goodbyes from wives, mothers, siblings and children as older men and boys are taken away from them and given weapons.
"Farmers, farriers, stable boys. These are no soldiers" Aragorn pulls on his gear.
"Most have seen too many winters" Gimli grumbles,
"or too few" Legolas states.
Solders are continuing to prepare, passing swords to one another.
"Look at them. They're frightened. I can see it in their eyes" Legolas continues in a strong tone that I don't normally hear from Legolas. Everyone turns to look at Legolas as he turns around in anger, "boe a hun... neled herain... dan caer menig!" (And they should be... Three thousand... against ten thousand) he exclaims roughly shocking me. I cant understand him but I can tell he is not happy. 
"Si beriathar hyn. Amar na ned Edoras" (They have more hope of defending themselves here than at Edoras ) Aragorn exclaims back in confidence, mine and Braelyns eyes flicker from Legolas to Aragorn then back to Legolas.
"Aragorn, men i ndagor. Hyn u ... ortheri. Natha daged aen!" (Aragorn, we are warriors. They cannot win this fight. They are all gonna die) Exclaiming once again getting the attention of the people around us. Aragorn then explodes at Legolas "then I shall die as one of them!" he yells then walks away out of the hall. I look to Legolas who has guilt written all over his face, he goes to follow but Gimli stops him "let him go lad. Let him be."

Silence is in the room after the argument between Legolas and Aragorn. "Hey, you alright?" I softly ask standing beside Legolas, he just looks at me and smiles. "I should be asking if you're ok, we are about to go to battle, your first proper one" he states making me smile back.
"Well I'm terrified and you're right I am probably going to die" I reply back bluntly. Legolas' face falls and turns to worry "no I will not let that happen. Stay close to me and I will protect you" he holds my shoulders looking deeply into my eyes. "Thankyou, but I wasn't born a soldier or an elf, I'm just a normal girl. I don't fight" I state starting to shake again, Legolas then pulls me into his warm embrace. "You may have been born a normal girl but you have grown to be a soldier, a beautiful soldier who is going to survive" he whispers into my ear making me shiver down my spine and blush at his compliment. "Just don't leave my side, promise me that" he continues, "I promise" I whisper back. We go silent and just take in the warmth of each other.
"amin mela lle" he whispers in elvish. "I haven't a clue what you just said" I say looking up at him confused as he just smirks at me, "what did you say?" I ask.

"You will have to find out for yourself, I'm not telling you yet" he replies smirking once more. "Pleaeeeese" I plead him but he shakes his head and gathers his weapons. Now this is gonna annoy me for a while, I need to go find an elvish dictionary after this battle.

Aragorn walks into the armoury looking for his sword, Legolas reaches out and gives it to him. "We have trusted you this far. You have not led us astray. Forgive me. I was wrong to despair" he apologises, "u-moe edhored Legolas" (there is nothing to forgive) they smile at each other and their friendship is renewed. We hear rattling and look over to Gimli wearing a lot of chain " if we had more time , id get this adjusted" Gimli grumbles wrestling his shirt and it drops right to the floor, making us all laugh in this dark time. "Its a little tight across the chest" he continues making me and Braelyn laugh even more. I stand beside Legolas and smile before I walk outside with Braelyn.