Chapter 13: Gandalfs fall

Chapter 13: Gandalf's fall

We ran as fast we could with Gandalf leading us into the huge Dwarrowdelf chamber. "This way!" Gandalf shouts. We all hurry towards the door but goblins start climbing down pillars behind us, I could hear them scuttling around. We were surrounded by this goblin army until we hear a deafening roar that fills the air. A light flashes down the hall casting shadows in all directions. Soon the goblins freeze with terror then run for their lives. "What is this new devilry?" Boromir asks with terror in his voice. As the ground shakes and we see flames surround the hall. "A Balrog... a demon of the ancient world! This foe is beyond any of you!" Gandalf quietly says "Run! Quickly!" he then urgently yells.

We keep on running, I see a massive creature rise like a beast made of flames. In his hand was a whip. We run to an edge that I didn't know was there and I nearly fell but I felt strong arms wrap round me and pull me back. "Thankyou" I reply breathing heavily to whoever it was. We didn't know where to go and I was still in the arms of the person who helped me. I turn my head to see blonde hair near my shoulder. Of course its Legolas.
Aragorn runs over and leads us down a staircase leaping across a chasm and past a narrow bridge. "Over the bridge! Fly!" Gandalf yells as we race towards the slender bridge to the other side. I look round to see Gandalf stop in the middle and face the demon. "You cannot pass!" Gandalf shouts lifting his staff, "I am servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun" he exclaims fighting off the Balrog.
"Go back to the shadow!" The Balrog slashes at Gandalf but it gets blocked.
"You shall not pass!"
The bridge collapses by Gandalf conjuring up all his strength, the Balrog plunges down into the darkness. Relief crosses over every bodies faces except mine. Gandalf turns "quick Gandalf!" I yell but again I was too late, the Balrog lashes out his whip and curls round Gandalf's legs dragging him down. Gandalf hangs on to the edge "Gandalf!" Frodo yells running forward but Boromir holds him back with so much force. "Fly you fools!" Gandalf fiercely says and then lets go falling into the darkness after the Balrog. We all shout after Gandalf but we have to get out of here. All running through the archway and tumbling out the mines onto the sunny hillside. Pippin, merry and Sam collapse onto the floor crying. Boromir is comforting them while Legolas looks in shock as I am as well. Even though I knew it was going to happen and he will come back, it is awful seeing it in person and a single tear slips down my cheek.