Chapter 22: Preparing and making our way to Helms Deep

Chapter 22: Preparing and making our way to Helms deep

The next morning I wake up to see Braelyn doing her hair, so i put on a new dress given to me by Eowyn, not sure how I will fight in this dress so I will have to find something else another time. Then we both headed to the hall for breakfast. As we enter we realise the boys are already there. When we head to their table we pass Eowyn taking care of two children. "They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the wild men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go" Eowyn exclaims giving food and water to the children. The guys look at each other concerned, "what's going on?" I ask in a whisper.
"The children's city was attacked, they rode here on there own" Aragorn whispers to Braelyn and I.

"Where's mama?" the little girl asks in a cry making my heart melt, Eowyn turns to comfort her as Gandalf starts to speak. "This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him on" he speaks turning to the king who looks worried. Gandalf leans forward "draw him away from your women and children. You must fight" he continues to speak.
"You have 2000 good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king" Aragorn exclaims and stands as he speaks. Theoden stands from his throne and walks to the centre of the room "they will be 300 leagues from here by now. Eomer cannot help us" the king stubbornly states, Gandalf moves forward to speak but Theoden halts him "I know what it is that you want of me, but I will not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war." Theoden continues and I understand that he doesn't want anymore of his people or kin to die but I think open war is already here. "Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not" Aragorn tells him like he read my mind or it tells me I have read the books too much. 

Theoden turns to Aragorn "when last I looked, Theoden not Aragorn was king or Rohan" he indignantly states, I thought that was a bit harsh.  Braelyn goes over and puts a hand on Aragorns arm. "Then what is the kings decision?" Braelyn asks in a strong tone.
"We make for Helms Deep" the king states and turns away worried.

The people of Edoras were all gathering our things together, the fellowship was walking through the streets. "Helms deep. They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight" Gimli huffs as we enter the stables. "We will defend them if not their king" he continues.
"He's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helms deep has saved them in the past" Aragorn tells him as we approach shadowfax, "there is no way out of that rivine. Theoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre" Gandalf roughly says and jumps on the horse. "Theoden has a strong will, but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan . He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The defences have to hold" Gandalf looks to Aragorn not loosing eye contact.
"They will hold" Aragorn shortly states.
"The grey pilgrim. That's what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth , and now I have no time" he muses, "with luck my search will not be in vain. Look to my coming at first light on the fifth day. At dawn look to the east" he states and then rides out of the stables.  Legolas pulls me back to the sides so I'm out of the way. "Thanks, I wasn't concentrating" I embarrassedly say and he just smiles down at me. 

Soon we were on our way to Helms Deep, I do not trust myself on a horse by myself since I didn't know how to control them so I was still on the back with Legolas. Making our way out of Edoras.